listless turtle!!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
bapesbaby

Could someone please tell me what is going on? I have 3 red ear sliders. Two of them are as happy as can be...growing like weeds, swimming around, eating like horses. But the other one doesn\'t do anything. He just sits on his little rock above the water and only moves when it\'s time to eat, and even then, he hardly eats at all. I\'ve also noticed that his shell is extremely soft and flexible. He moves very slowly and is non-responsive.
deesygirl

Sounds like your little one needs some help. What you are describing is a condition called MBD, metabolic bone disease, or soft shell for short. If you don\'t fix this condition he will die and it is not a pleasent death. Do you have UVB lighting? He needs this to process calcium. He also needs a calcium supliment. Has he been this way very long? The longer you wait the longer and more difficult it is to correct, and he may need injections from your vet. If you can tell us a little more; like your tank setup, temps, diet, ect it would help us find what you are lacking.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

sorry for that but ur little guy isn\'t feeling well..i had a turtle that acted the same and i lost him later..i\'m not trying to scare u so take him to the vet he\'ll need to get some medications..for now, seperate him from the others, increase the temps to the 80\'s where he is, and try to expose him to direct sunlight if possible..the weather is getting better now so i hope u can do it..

don\'t ignore the whole thing..take him to the vet ASAP..good luck and keep us posted
  • Information