Skin is peeling

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Salliejo07

I have two baby red ear turtles and they are both shedding their skin. Also their shell is kind of soft. Are the growing??? or is something possibly wrong with them?
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

the skin shedding is normal.

their shells being soft is not. do you have an area for them to climb onto dry land? if they are in the water all of the time they have a huge possibility for shell rot.

can you give us some more information?
Salliejo07

yeah i have a large rock in their aquarium that they can climb up on. But they rarely are on it. Both of them like to hide in the water plants. They are both really young and small, like only the size of a fifty-cent piece. I thought maybe they were just growing and that was why it is soft. But you think something may be wrong??? please help. Also, I have only had them (Speedy & Crush) for about 4 weeks. I found both of them in the wild. I was fishing and they swam up to the bank. This is the first problem i have had with them. they have been eating great. I want to do what is best for them. Should i just let them go??? Or have the become dependent on me feeding them? HELP!!!!
Last edited by Salliejo07 on Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Do you give them calcium supplements?, if not you really should, they need it to keep their shell in good condition, also they need a UV source, whether it is artificial or directly from the sun.
Salliejo07

Ok i went to the local pet store and got a basking lap and set it up right above their rock. So hopefully their shells will harden again!!!
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

How soft are their shells? When my two RESs were just hatchlings, they had pretty flexible shells. They hardened as they grew though.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

if everything else is normal then it might be also normal cz i read that hatchlings might have soft shells and the beginning..

so they swam up to the bank? how cute:)
  • Information