What Are The Odds?

Here you can direct all your questions about turtle breeding and what to do about those eggs you found that your turtle laid.
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

I was totally taken aback when my turtle laid an egg (in the water). I was under the impression that they were too young (2 years) and was not even sure of their sexes - but all of a sudden - I have an egg!! The first thing I did was to take it out of the water and look at it closly because I was not sure it WAS an egg. So I turned it over a few times. I now know that is not a good thing to do. The egg is now in a plastic shoe box in moist vermiculate resting on a heating pad to keep the temp up. What are my chances that the egg will hatch? Should I get a incubator? The only one I can find is for chickens - will that be ok? I can\'t imagine that the heating pad will last two months so the cost might be worth it. My granddaughters are sooooooo excited and it will be a long two month\'s of waiting so I don\'t want to give them false hope. Do conditions have to be \'just right\' to have a successful hatching or will nature take over?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

maybe it\'s not an egg..it might be goo or something but eventhough the chances are big that the baby is dead by now..sorry for that but u shouldn\'t ever flip the egg or turn it in any direction cz that kills the baby..
keep watching for next time
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

How soon before I know for sure if the baby is dead? How do you know if you have an egg or just goo?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

if it\'s flipped then..

i think it\'s from the color..usually turtles under 4 years lay unfertilized eggs
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

just out of curiousity .. why is flipping such a huge deal? well, in other words .. why is this a death sentence?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yolk mixes i think that\'s the big deal..i don\'t know if it always dies but death is better than having a deformed baby
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

hmm .. do you have any websites on this? i\'ve searched and everyone just says \"DON\'T FLIP THE EGGS!\" with no explanation. seems there isn\'t a lot of knowledge regarding the topic.

i\'m just curious about it.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

not really i just assumed it\'s about the yolk..yeah i don\'t remember reading anything else either but since they stress on it a lot then it must be serious
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

yea, i\'m sure it is serious.

but don\'t you find that interesting that you just read \"don\'t flip it\" and there really isn\'t even a reason?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

j/k:) yes it is now cz i never gave it a 2nd thought before???
Last edited by dixieee on Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

hehe. i can\'t help it!
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

hehe. i can\'t help it!
  • Information