treats!!!!!!!

Ask questions, discussions about turtle feeding (various food, vitamins, minerals, etc.)
isabelle

hi every turtle lover!
the other day i gave our turtle buddy a treat i thought he might enjoy and as a matter of fact i think he really did his reaction was to wave to the treat with both of his front paws at the same time. i had read here sometime ago that that behaviour was usually associated with mating!!!! anyways the treat in question was cooked shrimp. i also tried chicken!!! and now to my question i gave buddy some insects to see his reaction,of course he hate them but im concerned about the fact that the insects are house flies and ladybugs i have a lot of those in the house come spring time.so far no change in the turtle and he seems to enjoy them!!!!! thanks in advance bye bye
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I think that your turtle was actually clapping for the treat that it got:D:D, as for the flies and ladybugs, I haven\'t read anything about them being able to eat either one, but I assume that if they can catch it they will eat it.:D
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

umm .. i think ladybugs are poisonious. you can definitely correct me if i\'m wrong.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

Edit: i made a search and i found something about frogs and fish eating ladybugs so i assume it\'ll be ok for turtle to eat them too
Last edited by dixieee on Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
isabelle

thanks everyone for your immediate response!
i did notice when buddy first took a snap at the ladybug it expelled a liquid that sort of startled buddy but he went at it again until he swallowed it so i suppose the liquid was harmless. anyways i\'ll try to stay away from ladybugs for his sake.
aren\'t they just adorable when they get something new to eat. well that is all for me for today.talk to you all soon bye bye
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

anytime:)

if the liquid has a yellow color then it is the defence item a ladybug has..i don\'t think it\'s poisonious but well if he\'s got something else to eat then why not
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

Did you know that the house fly can transfer more than 20 human and animal diseases, and is one of the filthiest insects alive? Think of it this way: a fly lands on some dog/animal poop and sucks it (carries bacteria with it), then flies to some garbage can and sucks it (carries the bacteria), then flies to some of your freshly-made cornbread (gives U some bacteria), finds out it is too full from the gunk it ate before, and then throws up, and sucks some cornbread, then just happens to land on a place near you, which you quickly caught and gave to your turtle... to eat... for a snack... eewwww!!!

As gotten from a website:
Carrier: The House Fly is often a carrier of diseases, such as typhoid fever, cholera, dysentery, and anthrax.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

wow YUCK..not from poop plz
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Captain_Turtle wrote:
Did you know that the house fly can transfer more than 20 human and animal diseases, and is one of the filthiest insects alive?
As gotten from a website:
Carrier: The House Fly is often a carrier of diseases, such as typhoid fever, cholera, dysentery, and anthrax.
this is why people freak out when flies land on their food at a picnic. although, aside from anthrax .. in order to infect you, you would have to be bitten by the fly (so that the disease goes into your blood stream.)
isabelle

wow captain turtle you got it dude!!!! never ever looked at it this way with so much details !!!!!!! for sure now i\'ll keep vacuuming them away .AAAAAHHHHH i cant get that out of my head now. bye bye
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

isabelle wrote:
wow captain turtle you got it dude!!!! never ever looked at it this way with so much details !!!!!!! for sure now i\'ll keep vacuuming them away .AAAAAHHHHH i cant get that out of my head now. bye bye
Oh yeah I still got it.
  • Information