Slider or box turtle?

Discussions about turtles.
chrisjfreeze

We would like to get a turtle for my son. I am not sure if a slider or a box turtle would be better. Which is easier to care for, is one more fun than another? Any feedback would be appreciated. Can the sliders be out of their tanks and handled? Can you get them tested for salmonella? ( I have small kids in the house,too...and I once got salmonella and wanted to DIE! So I am a little nervous about that.) Thanks for any input!
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Either would be a suitable pet if you and your son are ready for the responsiblity. I have two sliders, the main thing that you have to be watchful of is the water quality and temperature. If either are not good, there can be problems.

I don\'t know much about box turtles, but sliders generally get big quickly, so they require a lot of space.

Sliders can be taken out of their tank and handled, that should not be a problem for you. Lots of animals can carry salmonella, you\'ll just have to teach your son to wash his had each time he handles the turtles. I keep a bottle of antibacterial gel near my tank.

I would make sure you read up on what you are getting into before you make any final decisions. Turtles are not easy to care for, they require a lot of work, but in the end they are definately worth it. Let us know what you decide!

I hope this helps some.
poppyduce
Level 2
Level 2

I have 6 year old sons, and they love the turtles. I adamantly instilled that if they handle them, that they need to wash their hands before and after. The turtles have taught them alot about responsibility. And the turtles have great personalities, and do interact as much as they can I guess. But there is a bit of care involved, so find a GOOD pet store and start asking questions. I was lucky to have a very knowledgable person to help me get started, but if you found this site, you are already off to a good start.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

The two turtles that I have belong to my nephews, bothe under 15, don\'t ask how old, I can\'t remember:D, I always make sure to remind them to wash their hands very well especially after they are done with playing with the turtles.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)

i don\'t have much to add but i know that sliders will be more fun to watch..i really think that generally land turtles are easier to be taken care of bcz of the fact that they don\'t need all the stuff water turtles do (filters, big setups, heaters...)

and as the guys in here said, salmonella can be easily prevented if u wash ur hands well after touching the turtles..u can use either normal or anti-bacterial soap so it\'s no big deal:)

well, check those site for comparison between both turtles:
box turtles: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/c ... nboxie.htm
sliders: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-slider.htm

so good luck and tell us what u decided on:)

it\'s true my slider was doing a dance the other day when i was listing to music and it was so cool
Carminemily95
Level 1
Level 1

Be carefull on your desion!
MY TURTLE DIED YESTERDAY!
Limpy the Turtle
Level 2
Level 2

omg...u should get a red ear slider cuz it looks like box turtles stay on land im guessing and if it poos and stuff it\'ll be harder to clean...its easier juss to pour out water and efill the tank...besides res are cuter then box yurtles but red ear sliders make these wierd hiss spitting water things all the time but theyre cool
make the decision thats easier for you...
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i agree that semi-aquatics are cuter than land turtles:) but u seem to have a misconception, a land turtle doesn\'t walk around home like a cat or dog, it also has a setup with sand in it to do whatever relieves it in there
shellmate86
Level 1
Level 1

my opinion?.....it depends on a person...mainly if ur a person who enjoys a little relaxation i`d say RES cuz i keep them to and when i`m stressed i watch my turtles swim and its very relaxing....feels like reflexotherapy i should think....but if ur looking for fun land turtles like the bos turtle would be just fine cuz u can play with them since their dry and don`t smell to bad....U can play with RES`s so but the thing is their part water types and its pretty messy for me cuz their so wet and a little slimy...LOL......but if ur ok with the wet turtle then its just fine.....box turtles can be handled like u handle other land pets like hamsters for example...well its just my opinion...all i`ll say is that if u are certain about what u want then u made a good choice....tata....God Bless
  • Information