Red Eared Sliders need a buddie

Discussions about turtles.
Master Z

What would get along well with my 2 red eared slider turles. I guess there babys \'cuz there small, \'bout an inch and a half long shell. They have a small cage with an island in it.I was thinking some crabs but I herd they get attacked or eaten. I need sumthin that eats dried shrimp or the turtle pellets. Dont know if half my disription helped any but they need a new buddy. THNX!
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

i wouldn\'t get any more animals until you can upgrade their tank. the \"island\" you described is an awful habitat for two red eared sliders. 10 gallon tanks are very cheap at most pet stores. they\'re on sale here sometimes for $6.99 - $9.99. please start with working on the habitat for your 2 babies before extending their family.
Master Z

Oh ok. The tank is about a foot long and hold about an inch and a half of water. Im not saying this in defence at all but whats wrong with having a little island in the middle. I mean they seem 2 like it cus they sun bathe all the time. But yeah I\'ll try 2 get em a better tank. Thank you for the help.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

i was using the term \"island\" to describe this \"tank\" as a whole.

the common name around here for their habitat is the \"death bowl\".

this habitat is EXTREMELY unadequate for 2 turtles, much less 1. an inch and a half of water is no where near enough water for them.

i\'m just trying to educate you. please don\'t think i\'m attacking you. also, please ask us questions if you need any help with what to do with your tank.
Master Z

Its kool I just didnt want to sound rude is all its not a war. I do have a 10 gal. tank that they could use. Do they need a little island in the tank or can they live in just water? If they do need land then how do I get some in a tank like that?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)

if u could move them to the 10-gallon then do it..and yes they should have an \"island\" so they could bask..remember that sliders are semi-aquatic which means they need land as well as water..if they stay in water for too long then they\'ll get shell rot..that\'s why their basking area (land) should be totally dry..u can use blocks or rocks after washing them well..or u can buy one of the basking things sold at petshops..they come as ramps or floating docks..

feel free to ask anything,we\'re here for turtle-talk:)
so what are ur turtles\' names?
Master Z

Ok go\'cha they need land. Any way I think there both male. One is Jo-Jo and the other is \"The Rock\". Thnx 4 the help.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

most welcome anytime:)
nice names they got

well my turtle is in a goldfish tank and there is no rocks or anything just water thats it
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

How much water?, if it is deep for him, he/she may get tired of swimming and drown, they need a place to get completely dry so that they can avoid getting shell rot, it is very nasty from the pictures I have seen.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

u shouldn\'t leave ur turtle as it is..most petshops don\'t have ppl who know that\'s why we get the wrong info. most of the time..read the care sheets and u\'ll know what turtles need
Carminemily95
Level 1
Level 1

My Red Eared Slider died yesterday!
Because He/She was sick!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sorry to hear about that, most of the turtles that are sold are usually either sick or getting sick, that is why you should look for the liveliest one and make sure it has the proper care so that it can live happy, if you decide to try again, know that we are here to help with any advice you might need.
  • Information