worried I\'m watching my turtle suffer

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
beyork42

I\'m worried my turtle will die. She\'s a baby RES. I\'m not sure how long she\'s been like this, maybe a week. Let me explain...I noticed a few days ago something strange and what I thought was choking, so I watched her to see if she would cough anything up. She struggled for a while rubbing her eyes, her neck outstretched at times. Finally she spit out two pellets of partially digested reptile sticks. (sigh of relief) I thought she would choke to death! Well, since then she\'s been, what I think, sneezing and coughing. Today she was swimming around the tank normally until I turned on the UV lamp. She scared me because she got onto the dry area I have for her to \"sunbathe\" and started to, what seemed like gasping for air. She stretched out her neck and took a gulp, then minutes later her whole body was stretched out and then she jerked back into her shell. I\'ve noticed some bubbles from her nose a couple of times and she\'s been scratching her eyes a lot. She also makes little noises when she stretches out her neck with her mouth open. I guess with what I just described, she has to be sick. My question is: Is there anything I could try to do on my own? I mean like without having to take her to a vet? The reason I\'m asking is because I\'m really short on cash right now and I\'ve read that the vet bills can be as little as $100. I really care about my turtle and don\'t want her to suffer anymore. I just don\'t know if it\'s too late to help her. Also, I might be moving and worried I won\'t be able to take her. If that is the case, I want her to go to a good home. I don\'t want to give her to just anybody. I want someone who will take good care of her. Any suggestions?
Thanks
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

it\'s not too late to help her, as a matter of fact .. it sounds to me like she\'s in the early stages of being sick because she will still get in the water. pretty soon she\'ll stop eating and will not get into the water. if she\'s still eating she\'s getting the nutrients she needs to get better.

you should raise the temp. of her water. this acts like a fever for us. helps to heal her up.

i had to take my guy to the vet because he stopped eating and i couldn\'t sit and watch him die. it cost me (or should i say my lovely parents) $80. i could have gotten one other thing (i forget what it was) but i settled on just the vitamin shot and then the antibiotic shots.

it might be necessary for you to take her to the vet for her to live. if you can\'t afford it, she could die because there isn\'t much else that you alone can do aside from raising the water temp., which didn\'t help me.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yeah seems she\'s still in the early stages..i got drops for my girl when she had the same problem..they are \"Enfloxil 5% Oral\"..i\'m not very sure about the name cz i\'m not at home right now but i\'ll check it as soon as i get back..those drops don\'t cost a lot (about $4 in here) but at least call the vet and make sure u can use them b4..

good luck and i hope ur little girl gets well soon..keep us posted about her
  • Information