have had RES for about 6 months now

Discussions about turtles.
poppyduce
Level 2
Level 2

When my 6 year old sons started asking for pets of their own, I thought of everything that would possibly work out for them. But having a dog and cat kinda weeded out alot of options. My mother suggested turtles and I thought that would be a good place to start. Little did I know just what I was getting into. I dont\' mind the cleaning and care and such, what I didn\'t realize was all the personality those little guys have!!! They are such indiviuals! And my sons have learned alot about responsibility. They love to take care of them. (I have to admit I get a kick out of them too) I have learned alot about their care and realize there is alot more I should know. I feed them frozen brine shrimp and reptomin. and of course the treats. I also drop the dissolving turtle supplement in whenever it is gone. Have the uv light and the temp ok, but is there anything major that I am missing? Am open to any and all suggestions.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

you sound like you\'ve got it all under control!

i\'m glad you are enjoying the little guys. i bought one not knowing what i was getting into as well. now i can\'t get enough of them! (i had to go and buy another!) ;)

we\'re always here if you have an specific questions for us later on down the road. but for now, it sounds like you\'re right on track!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board all of u:)

u didn\'t mention anything about the basking area but am sure u\'r not missing them:) everything else is great..

so what did u call them?
poppyduce
Level 2
Level 2

Their names are Jack and Cool. They have a basking area, one of those floating docks that suction cups to side of tank. I have them set up in a full aquarium with filters and such, and the water stays fairly clean, better then I thought it would. The light is a reptisun lights, had it left over from an iguana that I had aqurired from somone who could no longer care for him. I was thinking of making a pond for them outside this summer, but that will be months away as we live in North Dakota!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ok then everything is perfect with the guys:) wow an outdoor pond,,i\'m jelous! and nice names they got:)
  • Information