Yet another question?

Discussions about turtles.
samiam
Level 1
Level 1

A couple of things. Went to the pet store tonight and the turtles there were out and looking around not afraid of people at all. I wish mine were so inclined. Upon suggestion of the pet store owner I lowered my basking area so that is closer to the water. I removed all rocks that my turtles were hiding under. Their choices now are to bask or swim around. They have been hiding under rocks since I inherited them. 6 months ago. Will removing almost all of their hiding places make them have a heart attack? I want them to become more used to people and not be so scared. Should I handle them more or leave them alone? I took away the 250 watt light and replaced it with a smaller one. They did\'t seem to like the big one. Also how do you feel about worms I saw a program on t/v and they were feeding turtles worms. What kind do you use and is that a good idea? My turtles won\'t eat the pellets. I have tried 2 different kinds. Any help would be appreciated. Again thanks for the info. Hope I am not being a total pain...
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

of course not u are most welcome to ask or say anything u want..what are we here for! :)

the turtles at the pet store are used to seing people + they don\'t really have somewhere to run to when they see us that\'s why u think they are so friendly..but they don\'t stay so when u get them they\'ll act exactly like urs..well yes if u can spend time with them and handle them it\'ll speed up the process of getting used to u..i play and talk with my turtles a lot that they are so friendly now and eat directly from my hand even if they were not in water..even when i put them on the floor to have a walk they come running to me:)
about the hiding places, i answered that in the other post..

and for the worms..yes u can feed them worms and insects or i prefer meat (cooked chicken, turkey, fish...) it should work..try to mix the pellets with them and they\'ll eat them sooner or later..

so good luck and keep us posted:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I think that all turtles are skittish by nature, that means that they jump or freak out whenever they encounter something new, eventually they get accostomed to the new environment and start to relax, with the exception of us, in a store the turtles are used to seeing people go by everyday, at home, only you, and only when they are being fed, I think that if we stood perfectly still for a couple of months in front of them, they might get used to us and not jump into the water when they see us:D:D, just give them time, offer them some dandelion greens and flowers, that has alot of calcium in it.
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Give it a while. It took almost a year for my turtles to warm up to me. They finally don\'t run/swin away when I walk near. Now they come to the window anytime I walk by the tank to beg for food.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Oh, they are very good at begging, I had to tell my niece not to feed them until I got home, the boy is getting kinda chubby:D
Estaban182

Can you have a red ear slider and a painted turtle live in the same habitat, will they enjoy the company and if so...how much room is needed. How many gallons should each turtle have.(for example: 1 fish per gallon)

And, how old can a turtle be, that is recomended to mix with other turtles.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)

\"Trachemys scripta elegans is a great turtle for a community habitat with Painted Turtles, Cooters, Map Turtles and other Sliders.\" from http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-slider.htm

so that means they\'ll be fine! the gallon rule says that for each inch of turtle shell u need 10 gallons..add up all the sizes of ur turtles and multiply by 10..that\'s what u\'ll need

usually it turns out to be too much so u don\'t really have to stick to it if u can\'t afford it..just make sure they are fine and can move, swim, and bask freely..

for mixing turtles, it\'s better if the turtles were still hatchlings or young cz the bigger they are, the more aggressive they become..and if u want a little advice from me, put both turtles in a new setup if u already have one and planning to get another so the first doesn\'t act territorial

good luck:)
  • Information