My turtle is sneezing?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
camonsour
Level 1
Level 1

I have a baby turtle, who seems to make a hissing noise at least once a day, he pulls his front legs out and his head all the way out, and in a swift motion jerks them in quickly and makes a hissing noise. Is he just sneezing? He doesnt do it as often now. Should I be concerned? If so what steps could I take.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

You need to make sure that his water is 75-78* deg.F. and his basking area is about 90* deg.F.

Odds are he is just sneezing, but better to be safe than sorry, if he does it constantly there may be a problem, but if he is just stretched out on the basking area and hisses when he sees you, it just might be sort of a greeting:D, I would still keep an eye on him.

Here is my flying turtle:
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

is he like gasping for air? since when is he doing it?

check this from http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/

\"Coughing

Yes, turtles do cough! Much like in humans, it indicates some sort of respiratory problem. Underwater, this may look like a convulsive shock through the system or a wide, long yawn witch a twitching of the head. While basking, this might sound like a croaking noise from a frog.

Treatment

Quarantine and raise all temps in the habitat by 5°. Consult a qualified vet as meds will be needed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sneezing

Yes, turtles do sneeze, too! As stated for coughing, it indicates some sort of respiratory problem. This may sound like a bird\'s chirp.

Treatment

Quarantine and raise all temps in the habitat by 5°. Consult a qualified vet as meds will be needed. \"

so raise the temps and keep an eye on him..if it happens again u might want to take him to the vet..

good luck with the baby and keep us posted
  • Information