My new turtle will not eat

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
applemartini8

I just got another turtle (I have had my first one for about a year and a half) they are doing fine together in the tank, but I am not sure that the little one is eating. How can I make sure that she is getting enough food?

Thanks
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

he might not be eating, which would be extremely common after putting him through the stress of a new home. give him a few days. even weeks would be normal.

but, a good way to see if he is (and make him more comfortable while doing so): take him out of the tank when it is feeding time. put him in a bowl (i use gladware) and throw some sticks (reptomin, if that\'s what you use, too) in there, but make sure you count how many. walk away. give him time alone. come back in 5-10 minutes and see how many sticks are left. i had to put an excessive amount of sticks in my little guys bowl at first so that he would find some of them. now, i only put what he should be eating in there. but, at first when he wasn\'t eating i surrounded him with food. (i got this idea from my vet.) also, i put him in a bowl that wasn\'t huge. this way he didn\'t have much room to go somewhere that there wasn\'t food. another good idea is to break the sticks in half.

hope these suggestions help!

good luck.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

the best thing is that they\'re getting along,,eating comes next..good luck
Last edited by dixieee on Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information