Red eared terrapin?

Discussions about turtles.
speedie
Level 1
Level 1

Last edited by speedie on Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deesygirl

I think this might be Red Eared Slidders. :) I am not sure what you mean by 4\'. If they are fully grown they should be in a 75+ gallon tank. How big are they? Fully grown males will be in the neighborhood of 6-7\" and females are a little bigger 8-9\" but they can get bigger. Regardless... free is always good.

Keep us posted. There are many people here to help you get a good setup going as well as answering any questions you might have.
speedie
Level 1
Level 1

well i dunno really. I just found out 2day and i wont be seeing them till 2mo. the tank is 4 foot long dunno how many gallons. No is a red eared terrapin well thats what the lady says.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

i would also imagine that they are red eared sliders. when the lady says terrapin .. she means aquatic turtle.

anything that is 4\' long is probably not going to be over 60 gallons. the rule is: 10 gallons of water for every inch of shell. if there are 2 full grown red eared sliders in a tank and each is let\'s say, 7 inches, you would need at least a 140 gallon tank (which is usually around 6\' long.)

let us know if you have any specific questions. turtles are a lot more work than most people expect, so take a look at the care sheets on this site so that you know exactly what you are getting into.

again, let us know if you have any specific questions we could help to answer.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)

well if they are red ear sliders (RES\'s) then i have to say u are lucky for getting them and for free..sliders are best turtles for beginners and they are so friendly when they get to know u..u\'ll notice that soon:)

read the care sheets on the top of this page so u know how to get started..if u got anymore questions or anything to share we\'ll be glad to listen and answer..

so what r u planning to call them?
  • Information