Pinky and The Brain Pics

Discussions about turtles.
smokinall4s
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, thanks for the info on how to post pics so here they are. Pinky is the male(left side of each pic) and the female is The Brain. We called her The Brain because she is a smart turtle especially when it comes to feedings and catching fish. Pinky pretty much just gets what is left over.

rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

(also, how big is your tank?)
Last edited by rachelmarie on Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

wow those are cute turtles..the setup is wonderful i like it..it\'s so neat and clean..my babies will be jelous now they saw that by mistake:)
smokinall4s
Level 1
Level 1

rachelmarie - the basking area is made out of plexiglass. I cut 2 pieces to fit the width of the tank and then about 12inches for the width. I cut 2 so that the landing area would be strong. I then cut 2 other pieces. The width the same as tank and then 3inches long(ramp for landing). I then just used aquarium silicone to attach to tank. I went a little crazy with the silicone just to make sure that the landing wouldn\'t fall. I siliconed both sides of the edges. I placed the landing just over the half way line of the tank so that they would have lots of room to swim. Now the ramp I just put it at a slope so that it was easy for them to climb up onto. The one thing that I forgot to do with the ramp was to put another piece of plexiglass on it. That way it would have a step on it(easier for them to climb up). That\'s why there is a tree stump in there, helps them get up. I then put some flat rocks from the local pet store on the plexiglass to keep them above any water that gets onto the landing.

As for the tank, it\'s a Hagens 35g long. I will be upgrading because turtles are 4 1/2 inches long so they will need a new tank soon. I am looking at a 55g long or a 75g long. Most likely a 75g that way I don\'t have to upgrade for a while longer.

I used to have all kinds of things in the tank like rocks (little ones) logs and fake plants but they were hard to keep clean and the turtles like the extra space now. Especially when there are feeder fish in there.

Any other questions just ask. Thanks for the positive feedback.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

thanks for the explanation. i think that is exactly what i\'m going to do and you did a wonderful job in explaining it.

live near florida by chance? ;)

i would LOVE to buy that tank off of you once you are done with it.

i agree with the rocks and plants being hard to clean and getting in the way. once i upgrade, i\'m ditching those things. i can\'t wait to get feeder fish for my guys!

again, thank you!
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

love ur set-up!! nice turtles too!! did ur hood(lid) come with the tank??
smokinall4s
Level 1
Level 1

ya-ya The lid(hood) did not come with the tank, purchased it seperately. I like that it is hard wire and it really securely attaches to the tank. Plus it ensures that nothing gets in (kids, I have it locked) and out. he-he.

rachelmarie - I would love to give you my tank when I\'m done with it but one you live to far (I live in an igloo up in Canada, eh, he-he) and I will be using it when I get 2 more turtles next year. Hopefully Mississippi Map Turtles theres a pet store near me that sells them. The same store where I got my RES.

Thanks for all of the feedback. L8R
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

awh shoot. well good luck with the new babies!

and thanks for all the replies.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

i really like the fact that u can lock it..
Last edited by yaya on Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
smokinall4s
Level 1
Level 1

ya-ya I bought the hood at PJ Pet Center here in Canada, but I think that Pet Smart also sells them. If you go to just an Aquatics store then they too might have one. To lock it all I used was small (luggage type)locks.

I just tried feeding Pinky and The Brain some live crickets and they loved them. I will be trying them with earth or meal worms next. But just as treats though. I will try them with some other foods also, fruit & veggies. L8R
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

cool..i assume ur guys will like fruits cz they are a bit bigger now:) i think turtles like strawberries and bananas..
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

u not the first one who\'s talk to me about PJ centre... how come i\'m stuck with petcetera??? and that petcetera have nothing for reptiles and not much for fish...it\'s like everyone own a cat on the island!!! i got to go on the mainland soon so i will check out at the petsmart,but is there another name for PJ centre?!?
thx in advance!! and(if u don\'t mind telling)where u from in Canada?u talk about a igloo but i guess it was a metaphor?!? or maybe not...lol:D
smokinall4s
Level 1
Level 1

ya-ya I live near Toronto, Ontario, Canada and I live in anpartment(not an igloo). Most people assume that Canadians live in igloo\'s that is why I made that comment.

As for PJ Center. It is actually called PJ\'s Pet Center. Sorry no website. Anything else just ask.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

smokinall4s wrote:
ya-ya I live near Toronto, Ontario, Canada and I live in anpartment(not an igloo). Most people assume that Canadians live in igloo\'s that is why I made that comment.

As for PJ Center. It is actually called PJ\'s Pet Center. Sorry no website. Anything else just ask.
know what u mean,i\'m from quebec originnally and people assume that i\'m still drinking \"cariboo\" and wear the \"arrow belt\"..:D
too bad for the PJ\'s Pet centre....they should open one around here!!
but thanks!! i appreciate!
  • Information