after a turtle dies????

Discussions about turtles.
Xander

Hi, about 6 weeks ago my turtle died.(I miss her) I want to eventually get another turtle but first I want to learn everything I possibly need to know. Is it safe for a new turtle to live in the old aquarium setup?? I\'ve cleaned it out but is there anything specific I should clean it with?? I thought I provided everything for my turtle, filter, lighting, basking area, a large swim area, and I feel very guilty about her death. I want to ensure that my next turtle lives a long healthy life. Please let me know is it safe to reuse the aquarium, basking rock, plants, pretty much everything that came into contact with my turtle?? Thank you for your time and advice, I appreciate it.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)

i\'m sorry for ur loss maybe u got a sick turtle from the beginning that\'s why so don\'t feel guilty about it cz that\'s everyone\'s destiny..i lost a turtle and felt the same so i know how sad it is..

so hmmm a new turtle is on the way,,u can use the old setup if u clean it really well..there are special detergants for setups but if u can\'t get them then maybe u can soak the rocks, plants, and everything in salt water or vinegar for some time then wash them really well,,the same for glass..i don\'t know about the lights and filters though..for more info about the setup read the care sheets above on this site..

good luck with the new guy and keep us posted..u can ask anything anytime:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

From the reading I have been doing, it is most likely that your turtle died of a respiratory infection or pneumonia, that seems to be the major reason turtles die, alot of the time it is because they are already getting sick when they are being sold, in the past month I have read about at least two turtles that died of the same reason, so don\'t feel like you are to blame for the turtle\'s death.

I\'m so sorry. I just lost my turtle over night. I went to the pet store to get 2 new turtles today and put them in. They seem fine to me.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

sorry for ur loss too..i hope u made sure to clean the tank very well b4 putting them in the old one..

good luck:)
  • Information