need opinions, suggestions, thoughts or anything:)

Discussions about turtles.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

well hello all:)

FINALLY we\'re gonna move out and my turtles are going to get a HUGE new home:D i already found our (my turtles and I) dream setup but now since things are becoming more serious i\'m giving it a 2nd thought..shall i get them a bigger rubbermaid instead? i know the glass one will look much better but i\'m considering getting a couple more turtles (and the new setup is big it can hold the 4 until they are all mature)..still i can get a much bigger rubbermaid..the thing that bothers me most is cleaning,,i think it is much easier to clean a rubbermaid..
i don\'t know i have about a month to think of it and make up my mind..so what do u think ppl? i\'ll try to get pix of the 2 setups..maybe it will be easier to decide and give ideas then

thanx in advance:)
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

this is the perfect time for me to announce this: I bought a new pleco! party! party! and its huge!
WAY bigger than my biggest frog!and I still have my apple snail! whoo! the tank is gonna be clean!

Dixiee I know once I move out, my buddies are going with me and I\'m getting a custom large tank like I used to have. this is deep for you dixiee, situations like this one, falls back on your turtles. what do you think they want? if I were your turtle, I\'d want what was best for you..... let me know if that advice was any help.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I hope you like it:D
Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hey thanx members of the elite crew:D

congrats reptileman on ur new pleco..and thanx for the advice it is great,,yeah i know what u mean:)

thanx stray now i know my turtles will look tiny in it..i wonder if anyone would recognize there is anything inside,lol! the good part is that i can get fish and then it won\'t look blank but i know i\'m too lazy to take care of fish and turtles..this will need lots of work..

anyways i\'m still gonna get the pix of the rubbermaid and aquarium i\'ll be choosing from..it\'s about the looks and not the price cz it\'s gonna be the same..the rubbermaid is much much cheaper but i\'ll have to pay a good amount for the lighting and filters which on the other hand will be given away with the glass one..

thanx again guys and if u have any ideas or suggestions i\'ll be very thankful:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Well, the good thing about keeping fish in there is that you really don\'t have to worry too much about feeding them because they probably won\'t last that long anyway:D, your turtles will make sure of that :D:D
cuteturtlebabe
Level 2
Level 2

hi dixie,
I\'m not dure if you have aready made up your mind or not about the tanks. I believe you should invest in a glass tank so that you can enjoy the scene your favorite pets will share with you. My little Shelby is so cute & adorable. Both my daughter & I can\'t tear ourselves away from him sometimes. He is in a 20 gal. turtle tank (specifically designed for turtles)for now because he is small (only a couple inches...but growing)however, I plan to purchase a larger tank in Shelby\'s near future. I never imagined that I would become such an enthusiastic turtle lover! Shelby has touched my heart forever!
GOOD LUCK>>>WHATEVER YOU DECIDE...DO IT FOR YOUR TURTLES!
Lisa N Shelby
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

well to add to this question .. i\'m trying to decide the same thing.

my only question is (because i\'ve heard it mentioned before): what are people\'s experiences with the durability of rubbermaids and water?

considering that they really aren\'t made to withstand the weight and pressure of water .. do they break easily?

i really wouldn\'t want to get a rubbermaid all set up and have it bust in the middle of my brand new house ..

any experience would be appreciated ..
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

thanx all:)

Stray: i won\'t be glad if they ate the fish cz they are somehow expensive in here so i don\'t want them to be food,lol

cuteturtlebabe: thanx:) i\'m still in the process of choosing but up till now i\'m more towards the glass one cz as u said it is more fun..i have my babies in a small rubbermaid now but i still can watch them bcz they are on a side table so i can look at them from the top..my turtles are still tiny but i don\'t wanna get myself in the upgrading issue so i\'ll do it at once

rachelmarie: thanx rach:)as i said i\'m using a rubbermaid now and i had no problems with it at all..the problem with the rubbermaid i saw is that it is so big (and it has wheels) so i can\'t use it as a decoration and it wouldn\'t look that good i know..i don\'t think rubbermaids especially the big ones are like jelly and will bust..my small one didn\'t so the big one shouldn\'t:)

thanx again ppl,,all those feedbacks are helping a lot:) 4 weeks to go and my babies will get a new home
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

Dixieee,i suggest u go with the fishtank...like other said u will enjoy to watch them and if it\'s that big(the fishtank)u can use it as a divider in the room(that\'s what i want to do with mine)
about the fish who\'s expensive...maybe u should start a feeder fish tank..buy a male and two female guppies,set them up in a 10gallon or a rubbermaid(usually they have cheap \"all included\" 10G fishtank)put some snails, and after a month u should see some \"future food\" for the turtles..(that\'s what i did,even if the fish are cheap,it\'s still expensive after a while)
about the rubbermaid,i don\'t use them but i read about some peoples who do and they always end-up with leak after a while... but i think u can use stock tank(from home depot)but i\'m not too sure,Mariza would be the good person to ask about it...
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

thanx yaya:)
yeah i meant those huge storage rubber boxes..i know glass aquariums look much better especially in living rooms..if it were to be in my room then i\'ll certainly go for the rubbermaid or a kiddie pool cz i like outdoor setups so it\'ll be closer to them..anyways i still have about 3 weeks to decide..i did a good budget for it and i already got a couple of artificial floating lilies with a small frog on them..i hope my babies will like them cz i already did:) i\'ll be getting other things by next week hopefully when i\'m done with my mid-terms

thanx a lot again ppl:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Hey dixieee, check this outdoor setup:D:

What do you think:D:D:D
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

i\'d be afraid something would come eat them. a bird could swoop down! :(
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

wow,,hehe,,turtles is mummy\'s tummy:D

nice pix thanx stray but i think they have to add some decorations to it..i wish the turtles could see the outer view of that setup:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

It\'s pretty much for sunning purposes, if I put them on the ground they will try to go as far as I let them, and sometimes hide in the plants or grass.:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

so this is urs??!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Yes, I bought it at a garage sale for 5 dollars, what do you think:D?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i\'m jealous..i want one Image
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I am glad someone is jealous of something I have, it is usually the other way around:D:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hehe it\'s lovely that\'s why..i know my turtles are jealous too..gosh i have to move them away from the pc screen they\'ve been exposed to lots of stuff
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Pretty soon you may catch them at the computer looking at pictures of other turtles on their own:D:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

they\'re not allowed to cz mint has got a wife already so i won\'t let him look at other girls..well she\'s a huge wife but he\'ll have to accept it
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

LOL
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

dixieee wrote:
they\'re not allowed to cz mint has got a wife already so i won\'t let him look at other girls..well she\'s a huge wife but he\'ll have to accept it
haha. i\'m in the library and just laughed out loud when i read that. whoops!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hehe sawwy:)

yeah see we are serious ppl in here:p
  • Information