sick bab red-eared slider ?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Squirdle

hello everyone im a newbie here...i have a young baby red eared slider..hes very small.and i think he may be sick..he has what looks almost like pieces or tiny sheets of dead skin or whatever this white stuff is hanging off his neck and in small bits seeping out of his shell...is he sick? or is this just crud? also, i clean algae off his back with a toothbrush when i clean his tank..is this bad? his red part on his face is also very dull..he has a healthy appetite and appears healthy..thanks for any help you can give me.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)

no ur baby is fine he\'s just growing and this skin u see is shedding..turtles shed their skin just like snakes and other reptile when they grow up..so this is somehow good:)
as long as ur little guy is healthy and eating then there\'s nothing to worry about..the dull colors might be just the colors (how some ppl have brown eyes while others have green)..cleaning the shell with toothbrush is ok too..if the shedding is so excessive then u might want to check the water temp..what are the temps in there?
Squirdle

cool, i suspected it was most likely shedding. it\'s too bad that i just ate him :(

hahhahaha totally kidding!! ;) thank you very much..

temp is from 75-80
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

LOL ok temps are good so the shedding is definately just a sign of growth:)

good luck..
  • Information