Is My Turtle Shedding?

Discussions about turtles.
cuteturtlebabe
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, I have posted also under topic Turtle Help...this is what I have for you guys.
My baby RES has a whitish film that appears when he is happily swimming. I noticed when he was basking there are a couple spots on his shell. Should I PANIC...do you guys need a picture? He is very photogenic!
Thanks,
Lisa N Shelby
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Well, a picture is always nice to see, but that film is probably skin that has been shed, no need to panic:D
cuteturtlebabe
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for a quick response. I have been hoping around looking under different topics on the site for more info. What about his shell spots...is this cool>?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yep probably shedding like stray said:)
what are the spots like? if it is like peeling shell or something then it might be shedding scutes..(although i don\'t really think so cz i don\'t know about shedding skin and scutes both together)
machen423
Level 2
Level 2

my turtle bud sheds his skin first and then he sheds his scutes but sometimes the two processes overlap each other
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

cool cz i always thought they do either thing..i still prefer shedding skin (which my turtles are doing up till now:) )
kkimmy37
Level 1
Level 1

What is a scute???? I am fairly new to turtles. I never knew they shed anything. Do they shed their shells or outgrow them?
Thanks.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Well, if you know what a checker board is or a chess board is then it should be easy to explain, the turtle\'s shell has segments that kinda look like a checker board, each segment is called a scute, you could also imagine them to be kinda like scales on a fish, when a turtle grows up the scute loosens up and eventually comes off, there is a bran new one underneath:D, and the skin kinda peals off like when you spend too much time in the sun and get sunburn.

I hope that is clear, if not ask again about the parts you don\'t understand.
kkimmy37
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, I understand now. I wasn\'t sure if they did shed if they shed their whole shell or pieces. This is all so interesting. I appreciate your answer.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

see stray i told u b4 that u do as an instructor:D
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Please, you\'re gonna make me blush:D:D
  • Information