WHITISH SPOTS....

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
cuteturtlebabe
Level 2
Level 2

Hi everyone! Shelby has some spots on his legs and neck that are more noticable while he is immersed in water than when he is basking. However, while he was basking I noticed he has a couple spots on his shell. I am a new mom and will be seriously heartbroken if he is in pain or (God Forbid)dies. He is active as ever! Today I made his water deeper and now he seems to hangout in the shallow end. He has been eating well...he seems to enjoy his food. Hopefully someone can respond quick so that I don\'t panic!
You senior turtle peeps are the best!
Shelby and I thank you!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Don\'t panic, it is probably just shedding, on the shell you will sometimes see when they are swimming small silvery spots, that is air trapped under the scute, or section of shell that is about to be shed, it is perfectly normal, the white film is probably shed skin that is still hanging on his body, that is why you only see it when your turtle is swimming, any other time it kinda clings to his/her body.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yeah it is shedding and that\'s very normal and a sign of growing..it looks like hair sticking out of the hands and feet..the shell sounds fine too so don\'t panic ur baby is ok (hopefully):)
stunt pogoer
Level 3
Level 3

my softy had the same problem. take a little aquarium (like a 1 gallon) or one of those plastic bug catcher things and put ur turtle in there. put the turtle and the little aquarium under your basking light for about a hour and a half. it worked the first time for me. good luck
AKSliders
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I was just looking for this question as our RES have had some spots that look almost pearlescent while they are under water. Thought maybe they were shedding their shell, but wasn\'t sure. Cleaned their tank today and found several pieces of hard,transparent matter (like fingernails!) with darker shell patterns on them that I am assuming were from their shells. They are actually quite cool! Anyway, we\'ve only had them for four months, so I don\'t have much experience with them. Just thought you\'d like to know that someone else has had the same thing happen. Harold and Maude are healthy and are eating and basking as they should. I love this site...anytime I have a question (which is alot with my new world of turtles!) I have either found the answer or been pointed in the right direction to get it! Good luck!
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

It sounds like that they are shedding scutes. My tutles haven\'t done this yet, but I\'ve read descriptions.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

sounds like shedding, what u\'ll have to worry about is space not health cz ur turtles are growing:)
  • Information