New Turtle Owner saying hi!

Discussions about turtles.
coboot
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone. I just bought a RES. He is about a year old the pet store said. He is small but fiesty!!

We have named him Tinny Tim (tin-knee tim) after a character on Futurama. We also call him tim-tim-timmy from southpark. We like it wild here!!

I had a turtle when I was a kid which was fun. It was a huge one, but I dont remember to much after that.

We had the class turtle home for a week and I thought why not. Who doesnt want a friend for 30 years?

Tinny Tim\'s first meal in our home was Porter house steak. He ate like he was told he was never going to eat again!! That was within the first 30 minutes home. lol

I am using a rubbermaid tub, clear with a blue tint. We had a large chunk of granite from our counter, so he is styling. We also dug a foot in the snow, to get him two nice rocks.

I wanted to move into this tank! lol. Petco sold me a clamp lamp that has a uv light. HOW LONG DO I KEEP THE LIGHT ON?

Today I saw him sneaking on the rocks, I was convinced he was not using them. He has also learned to beg quick. I let my niece and nephew feed him and the next thing he is trolling the cage for more!!

I feed him a few reptile sticks in the morning and the meat at night. Not to much. I place it on the rocks, one is under water so he climbs on it, smells the other and then goes to the rocks. After he dives in the pool part.

Well enough about us for now. I just wanted to say hi.

Colleen
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

WELCOME TO THE BOARD

You sound like you have everything undercontrol. Just make sure you keep the water clean and warm enough (About 80*). He\'ll need a basking lamp along with the UV lamp for warmth and digestion. Place it over the rock and I\'ll bet he\'ll use the rock a lot more! Have fun with Tinny Tim, post pictures if you can!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board Colleen and Tinny Tim:)
well nothing more to add u have it all so good luck and enjoy ur turtle:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Welcome to the board

Like toxiceagle said, you pretty much have everything under control, I hope you enjoy your turtle as much as we enjoy ours:D
coboot
Level 1
Level 1

Last edited by coboot on Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Very nice turtle, Love the color and patterns:D
Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
coboot
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks. I barely figured out the online photo book.

Tinny is doing great I think. He is shedding a bit. He also got to eat his first live fish today. I thought I should let him catch his dinner. Let him go back to his primal feelings!!

Colleen

STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Good to hear he\'s doing well:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

cool turtle,,neat shell patterns:)
looks happy to me but if u could just inc. the water level cz i can see it is a bit under average..the turtle should be totally covered so at least he can get back to the right position by himself if he flips on his back..
but nice setup..good luck:)
coboot
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, When I changed the water today I raised it to about an inch above the line. He glides much better. I also put more fake plants for him. He seems entertained.

I let him out today downstairs. What a quick little guy. Obviosly the class turtle was a little older and lazier. This guy puts task to hand and books! Great exercise for him. Then back to his haven.

Thanks for the advise. One more thing, how often should I put the light on? Is 24/7 to much?

Cant find that info anywhere.

Colleen
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

cool so the little guy is enjoying:)
i think the lights should be on for 12 hours but am not sure if it\'s only for UV or heat lights or both or none???
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

The UV light should stay on for as long as the day has light, the basking light can stay on longer, I have a red heat light bulb made for reptiles, it doesn\'t give off any real light, but it does give off heat, which is good for their day/night sleep cycle.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

nice turtle! i love the color of is shell!
it\'s hard to tell from ur pic but could it be possible that Timmy!(i do watch southpark:D) be a girl?? i don\'t see big front claw?!?
coboot
Level 1
Level 1

I do believe my tim is a Timina! Once I had her in my hands I couldnt put her back. She is playful and is getting a little bit friendly.

She will always be my Tinny Tim, or Tim Tim Timmy.

Colleen
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

glad to hear ur getting along fine that fast:)
  • Information