need some advice!

Discussions about turtles.
samiam
Level 1
Level 1

I have 3 turtles..2 res and 1 of unknown type. I inherited them when i moved into a house with an indoor pond...They seem very un-happy. I feed them pellets that i have from a pet store. The room temp is 72degees the water temp about the same. I have a basking light and areas that they can climb on to get out of the water. Should the basking light be on all of the time? They come out rarely and spend most of the time with there heads under rocks. I don\'t see much activity or eating on their part. I don\'t really know what to do to make sure they are healthy and happy. The water depth is approx. 8in. and the area of the pond is approx. 12feet . HELP!!! Any info would be greatly appreciated..
cuteturtlebabe
Level 2
Level 2

Hey, I am new too. However, this site will just about cover everything. Please take some time to read all of the posting on the Message board. I have been advised to keep water temp. approx. 80. Maybe they are cold. I believe you should keep the infrared light on at all times. Is there natural light in the pond area? Your turtles may need UVB Light. The more SR. Members may have more suggestions and hopefully they will respond promply.
Good luck and welcome!
Lisa and RES Shelby
samiam
Level 1
Level 1

cuteturtlebabe wrote:
Hey, I am new too. However, this site will just about cover everything. Please take some time to read all of the posting on the Message board. I have been advised to keep water temp. approx. 80. Maybe they are cold. I believe you should keep the infrared light on at all times. Is there natural light in the pond area? Your turtles may need UVB Light. The more SR. Members may have more suggestions and hopefully they will respond promply.
Good luck and welcome!
Lisa and RES Shelby
samiam
Level 1
Level 1

samiam wrote:
cuteturtlebabe wrote:
Good luck and welcome!
Lisa and RES Shelby
samiam
Level 1
Level 1

Can u tell I\'m new at this...Thanks for the info. How do u get water temp. up? The room is huge and living in New England it would be costly to keep the room at 80degrees. Is there something that can heat the water only? Should the turtles be taken out of the pond area and put somewhere else in the winter? So many questions sorry..Thanks for the help.
cuteturtlebabe
Level 2
Level 2

Your water can be heated. Contact a pet store to see if they carry aquarium supplies. If they do then most likely they carry a heater. It is cylindrical (much like a light bulb)with the element inside. You can regulate the temp. also. Yeah, if you should decide to take them from the pond you may enjoy seeing them through a glass tank better. My little guy has been swimming most of the day. I just turned off the UVB light and now only have the infrared light on. He has climbed onto his basking rocks now and looks very happy. I tell you I have had tropical fish and marine animals (very costly) however, this is different. Turtles seem to have minds. He is a thinker!
I have posted comments/replies so you can see what I bought for my new turtle tank.
Again, hope I have helped.
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

are you telling me that someone left these poor little guys behind? Do you have a picture of the enclosure and what a the dimesions so we can get an idea of how many gallons are in there. You know height, lenght, and depth. And how the set up is?

And are you sure that the water is at 72ish because sometimes the water would be way cooler then the room itself. Have you tired putting guppies into the water?
cuteturtlebabe
Level 2
Level 2

Last edited by cuteturtlebabe on Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cuteturtlebabe
Level 2
Level 2

I hope I did it right!
Last edited by cuteturtlebabe on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
cuteturtlebabe
Level 2
Level 2

Looks like Shelby is now posted for all the www to see. Isn\'t he adorable?!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Your post is right except for one thing, [IMG should be [img no caps, it should work fine after you change the caps to small letters, you can go to your post and click on edit/delete to change the post.
Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)

oh shelby is so cute:)

ko for the water temp u can inc. it by using a water heater..it\'s easy to find in any petshop cz it is used for fish too..
now for the UV bulbs,,12 hours a day is enough but the heating lights on the basking areas should be on until sleeping time..ur turtles are acting strange cz they are still new and most turtles are very shy at the beginning..spend more time with them and they\'ll get used to u..if u can post pix it\'ll be very helpful also for identifying the third guy..

welcome to this board and feel free to ask about anything anytime:)
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

sorry for the long post,and don\'t be shy to ask if u have other questions!!:D
Last edited by yaya on Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
samiam
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks yaya for the info but i am very confused about the heating of the water. sounds very complicated. The sizes of the turtles are 1 res about 10inches 1 smaller about 6 inches the 3rd turtle is also about 6 inches. They very rarely come out from under the rocks they are hiding under. Sometimes I have taken them out and used shell cream on them. They are not very happy about that. The big res really tries to bite when I try and handle him. The others are pretty passive but not to happy to be taken out of their enclosure. I am at a loss at what to do. Is there turtle experts that make house calls...Should I consult a pond person...Help I don\'t want the poor little turtles to not thrive. The indoor pond is huge with rocks for them to climb out on. The big res has the most basking time but the other two join him occasionally. I don\'t even know if they are male or female. I am so new at this it is quite a puzzle to me.
samiam
Level 1
Level 1

dix: Thanks for the info unfortunatly I do not have a digital cam. to forward pictures. I looked under this web site at turtle species and I think my third one is a wood turtle. He looks like the picture and is around the right size. When i do get hold of a digital i will forward pictures of the turtles and their pond. Thank You everyone for you help and inspiration...
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

keep us post!!
Last edited by yaya on Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

samiam wrote:
dix: Thanks for the info unfortunatly I do not have a digital cam. to forward pictures. I looked under this web site at turtle species and I think my third one is a wood turtle. He looks like the picture and is around the right size. When i do get hold of a digital i will forward pictures of the turtles and their pond. Thank You everyone for you help and inspiration...
it\'s ok since ur turtles are a bit big in size then u can tell their genders:) males have tall nails and tails..females have shorter nails and shorter chubbier tales..
check it here
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Info/info.htm

other than that u seem to be on the right path..just try to read as much as u can:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Well, like yaya said, a picture is worth a thousand words, so here is a link to a few pictures and and explanation about turtle sexing:
http://members.shaw.ca/turtles/sexing.htm

I hope it helps:D
  • Information