Franklin and his bad habit

Discussions about turtles.
jeepin1179

Hi all, I used to be a member back when I first rescued my RES hatchling in 2002 and now I am back. About 8 months ago I upgraded his tank to a 20\"L. He has his basking area at one end and river rocks in the middle that he can climb on. For a while now he likes to climb on his basking area and try and get out. He also likes banging his shell on the glass. He has plenty of room. Any suggestions? Also he only likes to eat Reptomin and feeders once in a while but no veggies. Is that unusual? Thanks in advance for any input!!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome back to the board rescuer:)

for the escaping part that\'s ok i found out that my turtles are able to get out easily if they want to but they only reach up and watch around the room then get back in by themselves..u can push the basking area away so he couldn\'t reach the edges anymore..u don\'t want a missing turtle cz u can never imagine how fast they go when getting excited..
pellets and feeders are the best diet (the pellets include everything)..ur turtle should be about 3 yrs now so i assume it is still considered a young turtle and wouldn\'t enjoy veggies a lot..if u are complaining about variety then u can add coocked chicken, turkey, and tuna..they like them too..

good luck with ur little guy:)
jeepin1179

The last time I was on here and asked about tuna I could have swore that they said that it is not all that good to feed it to them. I know that he also likes venison. My husband is a hunter and I figure that in nature if a deer dies it is free game in the wild for all to eat. I dont feed him alot of it just a little bit when I am cooking.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

tuna is good as a treat not more cz it is rich in fats which is not good for turtles..other than that i know tuna gives best results always especially when trying to get new turtles eat(personal experience:))
and yes meat also is given as a treat..
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

Hello rescuer.

Want to rescue more?
Watch Enterprise @ Friday 8:00 pm on regular TV, or any UPN channel. SAVE THE SHOW!!!

Young turtles tend to eat less veggies.
  • Information