is he or she ok for my 5 year old

Discussions about turtles.
kpok

do turtles care any thing like ecoli or any disease
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

hmm .. don\'t know why this got overlooked.

treat a turtle like a piece of raw chicken. it may or may not be \"contaminated\" with e. coli.

sure your 5 year old can play with the turtle, but make sure that you teach him/her good hygiene skills and keep an eye on him/her. i know even if you teach your child to wash his/her hands, he might not. it\'s very important that you make sure he/she does because there is no way to tell if the turtle in fact does or does not carry e. coli.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

+ don\'t let ur child kiss it or anything..i know they are so cute and irresistable for kissing:)
Last edited by dixieee on Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I agree that you can let children play with turtles as long as you make them understand that if they don\'t wash their hands after they are done playing with the turtles they may get sick, turtles have been known to carry salmonella, which is about as dangerous as touching raw chicken.

Just make sure the turtles don\'t come anywhere near their mouth:D and everything should be alright.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:
I agree that you can let children play with turtles as long as you make them understand that if they don\'t wash their hands after they are done playing with the turtles they may get sick, turtles have been known to carry salmonella, which is about as dangerous as touching raw chicken.

Just make sure the turtles don\'t come anywhere near their mouth:D and everything should be alright.
it was too late last night. DUH .. it\'s salmonella, not e. coli. i\'m an idiot.
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

I keep a bottle of that hand sanitizer stuff next to my tank just in case I forget to wash in a sink. It seems to work for me.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

it was too late last night. DUH .. it\'s salmonella, not e. coli. i\'m an idiot.
Everybody makes mistakes, think nothing of it:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i got confused about the e. coli..good it\'s just the salmonella i thought i\'m missing lots of things
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

yea, we grow e. coli in microbiology lab every other week .. so it\'s sort of stuck in my mind constantly.

sorry. the stress must really be getting to me!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

kpok wrote:
do turtles care any thing like ecoli or any disease
hehe it\'s ok rach,,look ecoli was mentioned above maybe that explains it:)
  • Information