I found a baby turtle...help me plez

Discussions about turtles.
cuteturtlebabe
Level 2
Level 2

I found a baby turtle today and right now he is in a glass bowl. How often should I try to feed him? Should I dig up some worms? He isn\'t interested much in the iceberg lettuce. I am looking for an inexpensive 20 gallon tank to house him...if anyone has one they may like to offer me let me know. Anyone who wants to fill me in on all the details of being a new turtle mom please feel free to respond asap!
Shelby and I appreciate your kindness!
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

NO ICEBERG LETTUCE!!!

Baby turtles like to eat more meat based stoff like worms.. don\'t dig them up from the ground if you don\'t know where theyve been all this time, go to a pet shop.
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

What kind of turtle is it or do you even know? If its semi aquatic, you\'ll need a dry areaa with a basking lamp and water deep enough so that it can right itself if it gets turned over on its back. Young turtles eat meat. Try tuna or cooked chicken. Also feed them dry pellets. You\'ll definately need a filter for the tank because turtles are messy. Good luck with the turtle, you\'ll enjoy him or her!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)
u have to figure out ur turtle\'s species at first to know what is the appropriate care for it..
if u don\'t know then u can either post some pix for it or describe it (colors, shell, any special markings, size, where did u find it, where do u live...)

read the care sheets above u\'ll find a lot of info..u can put the baby in a rubbermaid right now since u can get them bigger and cheaper than the glass ones..for not eating it will be normal for the first couple of weeks bcz it is new but keep trying to feed him/her tuna, pellets, veggies and fruits (although it doesn\'t work much for babies), cooked chicken and turkey or worms and flies..tuna gave best results so u may want to stick to it until u get the little guy eating and then start changing his diet..

so welcome to the board and keep us posted,,we are more than ready to answer ur questions and know ur news:)
cuteturtlebabe
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for all your help.
I have a RES. I have named him Shelby. I did purchase a 20 gallon turtle habitate tank, Aquaclear Mini filter, UVB light and infrared light...some turtle gammarus pellets...some beautiful natural stones, a bubble maker and silk & plastic plant accessories to make his environment interesting. Let\'s just say I do believe I have GONE ALL OUT for my cutie. I have seen sliders at the pet store. They grow nicely, I see, if they have all the right stuff. The great thing about this turtle tank is the space is utilized better than the usual 20 aquarium. I have learned so much from this site and just want you all to know that I think I have fallen in love with turtles! (AT LEAST THIS ONE)
With turtles, who needs TV!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Welcome to the board, all turtle lovers are welcome:D
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

Congrats on your new turtle. You seem to have everything at the moment I bet your turtle will have a great life you seem to be a great 1st time mommy. Cant wait to see your baby grow.

Have any questions all you have todo is just ask.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

great..u and Shelby and welcome to the board:)

everything sounds great,,yeah turtles are fun to watch and play with especially when they get to know u and come running (swimming) to u whenever they see u:)
so everything is going fine but i just have to mention that the rocks should be bigger than the turtle\'s head so it doesn\'t try to eat them
cuteturtlebabe
Level 2
Level 2

Hey, Thanks! Yes the stones are bigger than his head, however, as he grows that will change.
I have a great concern. My baby Shelby seems to have a thin whitish film on his skin and a couple of spots on his shell. WHAT IS THIS? IS MY BABY SICK?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

as replied in the other post, this is only shedding..turtles shed their skin or scutes as they are growing..if the shedding is very excessive then the water might be too hot for them or u are overfeeding them..but as long as u stick to what the care sheets say then u are on the safe side and ur baby is growing happily:)
cuteturtlebabe
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for the vote of confidence. He has only been with me for the last 4 days but me and my little girl have fallen in love with him. His tank is TOPS! I will be posting pix real soon for all to see.
  • Information