Look what I found! What kind is he?

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
cuteturtlebabe
Level 2
Level 2

I live is Florida nearby freshwater lakes. Today while doing lawn maintanence I found this adorable little turtle. His/her shell is only about 1 1/4 inches; face has orange/red marking behind each eye; belly is sort of yellow w/ two-tone green rings on it. My guess from the pix I have seen on this site he/she is a red eared slider...oh, and did I mention it is cute!
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

sounds like a red ear slider (RES). I posted before, but you\'ll probably want his water in his take to be in the low 80s, and the basking area about 90* or so....

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)
RES\'s are the most common pet turtles and they are almost the best for beginners..they are so friendly and u\'ll notice that when it gets used to u..read the care sheets on this site (u\'ll find them at the top) and if u have anymore questions we are glad to help..we would also like to see pix of ur new baby if it is possible..so what did u name him/her?
cuteturtlebabe
Level 2
Level 2

Yes! He is a RES. His name is Shelby. I figured if he is a she the name is still fitting. I have to tell you that I am loving this tiny creature. I took as much info from this site as I could and WENT ALL OUT on his new indoor environment. He has a 20 gal. turtle tank, filtration system suitable for (dirty little) turtles, interesting arrangements of stone tunnels, silk and plastic aquatic plants, calcium block, infrared light for basking, UVB light for proper digestion, turtle gammarus pellets (which he tasted almost immediately), a therometer that sticks to the outside of the tank (someone here stated they had one). Right now he is relaxing underwater below a lillypad. I have a digital camera and will try to post some adorable baby pix for all to see!
Thanks to all who have responded to a turtle in need!
Sincerely, Lisa and RES Shelby
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

u are most welcome:)
i saw the baby\'s pix on the other post and he is so adorable..he looks happy too:)
sounds like a great setup..lucky turtle
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

Hello rescuer/snatcher.

Want to rescue/snatch more? Watch Enterprise @ Fridays 8:00 pm, regular television. Snatch the show, SAVE THE SHOW!!!

No offense completely, I recommend you return it to the freshwater lakes. It could become too domestic, if you know wat I mean. Too much people do that these days. SAVE THE TURTLES!!! SAVE THE POPULATION!!! SAVE ENTERPRISE!!!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

:D:D:D
  • Information