My turtles sick

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
erniescoupons

I have 3 red ear slider turtles I have had for 6 months. I have them in a 10 gal tank. They went into hibernation 4 months ago and I decided to put them in a warm area to wake them up 80 degrees F. 2 woke fine. The third is awake but very lifeless. He does not eat. nor does he get off his sponge. today I bought a basking light and put in a calcuim bar. Anything else I can do to help him out?
HaxeOrdinary
Level 2
Level 2

How long have they been out of hibernation? Maybe he\'s just not ready to wake up. Try being more gradual with the temperature increase, see if he responds to that.
erniescoupons

They have been out for about 2 weeks. His head keeps laying on the sponge i have floating for them. His eyes look sunken too. I\'m placing a bit of food right at his mouth so he wont have to fight for it. The other two are like wild turtles. They wrestle for food and play with one another all day. I feel sorry for the sick one because they all try to climb on top of him.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ok first of all u have to seperate the little guy..
how old r ur turtles? seems the little one wasn\'t ready to hibernate yet..sunken eyes means poor diet..raise the temps for him (away from the others) and keep an eye on him..try feeding him tuna fish or anything smelly that\'ll grab his attention..take good care of the little guy and i really hope he\'ll be fine

keep us posted
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

When turtles don\'t eat enough before they start to hibernate they will start to take nutrients from their body rather than the reserve they should\'ve had before they hibernated, just like bears before they hibernate they will eat alot of food to hold them for the six or so months that their hibernation will last, if he didn\'t have enough to eat before he will more than likely not have the energy to come back out of hibernation, many don\'t come out and starve, you need to take him to the vet to give him food through a tube and also give him some vitamins that he probably used up, good luck with your turtle and keep us posted on his condition.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

the poor guy,,i hope he\'ll be fine:(
erniescoupons

I\'m sorry to say he did not make it throught the night :( My little boy and girl are upset. Will bury him out back. We got them in Hilton head on vacation. We live in maryland. Does anyone know of a good place to get a replacement? Thanks for all your help!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sorry to hear about your turtle, I don\'t know any breeders, just fleamarket sellers(I wouldn\'t call them breeders).
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i\'m sorry for the little guy:(

i don\'t know any breeders in there but i was just checking this site www.turtlepimp.com
seems to be a good breeder if u don\'t mind online shopping..
  • Information