shell and not eating

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
speedie
Level 1
Level 1

at the end of my usa map turtle\'s shell is all soft and when i touch it it goes inwards. is this normal?(which i don\'t think it is) hes only about 1\"1/2. also hes not eating anything. i have had him for about a week and hes just not eating. i think its something to do with the water and the heat. people said that they think its in hibernation and i think its doing that. it keeps putting just his head in the water is that normal?
Last edited by speedie on Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

no he doesn\'t know how to hibernate yet and u shouldn\'t let him do it..what r the temps in there? if he feels cold then he\'ll try to hibernate so keep the water temp around 79F and the basking in the low 80\'s (i don\'t know how much exactly)..
not eating is normal since he\'s still new and a baby..just don\'t leave him keep something in the tank with him so whenever he feels like eating he finds food..make him feel safe so he won\'t be shy anymore and act normal..play with him, talk to him, try feeding him (tuna gives best results)..

add a calcium block for ur baby in the water to make the shell stronger..having parts of soft shell is somehow normal for hatchlings if it\'s not the whole shell..

u may want to read the care sheets on this site too,,they\'ll help a lot..anyways we\'re always ready to answer anything u wanna ask or share with us:)

good luck and keep us posted
speedie
Level 1
Level 1

well i tried all that but i was too late :( but i\'m going to learn about them a bit more and wait till i\'m ready to get another one.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

oh i\'m sorry for that..it\'s ok maybe ur little guy was sick from the beginning..
  • Information