I\'ve got a digger and need some advice

Discussions about turtles.
HaxeOrdinary
Level 2
Level 2

I\'ve got a red-earred slider who likes to dig. I\'ve got a bridge and at night I can hear him digging his little heart out in the pebbles. He hangs out there pretty much all day or swims across to dig out the other side. The other turtles swim by and watch and then leave him alone. Does he do this for the darkness? Should I put in a more shaded area?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Turtles like to forage, it\'s just something they do. Maybe he smells a trapped piece of poop or food. Make sure the stones aren\'t so small that he can swallow them (head-size or larger is OK).

Is he healthy? Does he bask? What is the temp of the water?
HaxeOrdinary
Level 2
Level 2

The stones are an okay size. The turtle guru I got them from said they\'d be fine. As for the food or poop, I think he\'s just digging a place to snooze. He basks, the water temperature is on the lower range of the safe range and he eats good. He gets reptomin baby everyday and a treat every once and a while.
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

mariza wrote:
Turtles like to forage, it\'s just something they do. Maybe he smells a trapped piece of poop or food. Make sure the stones aren\'t so small that he can swallow them (head-size or larger is OK).

Is he healthy? Does he bask? What is the temp of the water?
I agree that its foraging for food. I mean, look at those old ladies on the beach with metal detectors!!!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

r u sure it\'s a HE?? cz from what u said i understood that there are other turtles in there too..how old are all of them?
i know that when turtles dig then there are eggs on the way
HaxeOrdinary
Level 2
Level 2

My turtles are only a few months old. I got them in January and they were straight from the hatchling farm. I don\'t know if it\'s a he but he/she digs on both sides of the tank- at all four corners of the basking platform. Gosh, it\'s not old enough to be having babies is it?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

so ur little guy is fine and seems he is just curious about the things in there and trying to discover his home:)
Last edited by dixieee on Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HaxeOrdinary
Level 2
Level 2

thanks for all your concern. I\'ll let you know if anything else happens.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

If your turtle only does it when you are around, then I wouldn\'t worry about him/her, mine does that too, kinda like a frantic digging, he/she is actually trying to get away, I always tell them, \"stop that\", ofcourse they never listen:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

u are most welcome:)

LOL stray why don\'t they listen? when i tell mine to go down into the water they do..green can float when my sis says \"up\"..but she never does it unless it is my sister who tells her i don\'t know why???
i know that\'s stupid and it might be luck but i like to think they really do understand:D
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

They probably do understand, I think that mine just don\'t like me:D, and they are a little stubborn.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

nah they sat in the slippers,,they\'re not stubborn lol
  • Information