Shell Problems

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Mrsrobinsonsmom

Hi, I have a RES and I am unsure if what is happeneing with her shell is normal or abnormal. Two weeks ago I was cleaning her tank, she was resting comfortably in the kitchen sink, when I went to pick her up after she had been sitting for about 5 min I noticed she felt squishy. Once I placed her back in the tank small pieces of her shell began to fall off. I have since treated the water and the shell with a number of products, her shell is once hard again, but still on ocasion a piece will fall off. Is this normal? She is eating and basking fine and it still very active. Is her shell okay? Please help my baby!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

is it peeling or falling off? if it is peeling (and since everything else is normal) then it might be just shedding scutes..
if it is falling off then is it from the edges??
Mrsrobinsonsmom

yes it is falling off from the edges and also some from the bottom/ thank you!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ok do u have another turtle with it?
although i don\'t think it is injured cz what does the softshell problem have to do with the falling pieces???

check this link http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/m ... ed%20Shell: i don\'t know if this is ur case..
from other shell-related problems it seems that ur turtle is having a poor diet..what are u feeding it? do u have the necessary lights (UVA and UVB)?
  • Information