turtle with fish, frog and crab??

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
hayray

Hello! My wife and I just bought a baby RES. We want to set up an indoor \"ecosystem\" for it. Can we put fish, frog and/or crab in the tank?
We don\'t want to create a war zone for them. Please give us advices. Thanks.
Greg2255288
Level 2
Level 2

I do not think that that would be a good idea, obviously the turtle will try to eat the fish, and i think he might also try to eat the crab and frog. So i do not think that that \"ecosytem\" will work out.
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

i would have to agree..it wouldn\'t work..RES\' do eat fish when they are young<if they can catch them> they also eat snails out of their shells and i am pretty sure that it will hurt the crab and or frog.
human177
Level 3
Level 3

I think big fish won\'t cause any problems, I onece saw this tank on a site with average sized fish and they have a RES too. It would be handy if it would be possible because you have those window cleaning fish to ease your job. If you\'re gonna make an ecosystem, keep in mind RES like plants too, so buy them big.
Ibanezkid
Level 3
Level 3

What everyone has siad might be true but I have two firebelly newts, two firebelly toads, two baby res, two cooters,and three sliders all living in a 55 gal tank. I had them all together since April of this year and they all seem to live comfortablly. Now if your turtles are older and not a hatchling this might not work. I also have 6 guppies in the aquarium too and the turtles don\'t seem to care at all. Let us know ohow it works out.
zoecat6
Level 1
Level 1

If your turtles are hatchlings and you raise them in the tank with the other creatures I think it will work. I have 3 turtles and have them in a 75 gallon with snails, plecs, goldfish, shrimp, crabs and about 20 white clouds which were intended as feeder fish but they don\'t touch them. If the turtles start out with fish as newborns they don\'t seem to think of them as food. 2 of my turtles are over a year old and some of the fish have gotten so large that they are now bigger than the turtles.
  • Information