new turtle whoahs.. help needed

Discussions about turtles.
squabs

hello, i live in the New York area and bought 2 Red Eared sliders hatchlings from China Town yesterday. on the ride home i realized one of them was dead! by the time i got home i took that one out of the tank, cleaned it thoroughly and put the other one back in. i left 2 little reptomin baby turtle pelets for food and put about an inch of water in the 12\" x 9\" tank. by the next day the other one died too! i was outraged. i knew that they were probably neglected from the people i bought them from, so i made a mission to go today and try to \'rescue\'at least 2 more. i got there today and took 2 livley ones. i brought a bottle of poland springs and a small plastic fish tank for the ride home. they both made it

currently they are both livley and in a 16\" round 4\" tall plastic reptile tank with an island in the middle. i added a rock so they can have 2 places to hang out. each turtle in under 2\" so i figure this should be an alright home for them.

my question is do i need to buy them a lamp with UV bulb, and if so how close does it have to be to them. i don\'t want to cook them! also i would like to know if the tank i have is alright for the time being.

any help will be appriciated.

thanks
-squabs
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board rescuer:)

i\'m sorry for ur first losses,,u had sick turtles from the beginning and it is very sad to know that many turtles are living under the same poor conditions:(

anyways for ur new babies,,u can use it as a temporary home IF:
1- they have enough space to move (cz the rule says 10 gallons/inch of turtle shell)

2- u can add enough water in there so if they fall on their backs they can flip back to the right position without needing help from anyone (ur not always around to help)

the UV and heating lamps are necessary to maintain growth and good health..i don\'t know how\'s the weather in NY but if it is sunny and u can guarantee they get at least 2 hours of direct sunlight (not screened by windows or anything) then it\'s ok u don\'t need the UV bulbs..in my case it works cz i live in almost a desert country and the weather is warm in here but in most cases ppl just have to set heaters and UV bulbs in their setups..

when u get the bulbs and heater, get a thermometer with them to help keep the right temps.
water temp should be in the 70\'sF and basking area temp should be in the 80\'s i think (not sure about that)

now what about ur turtles? have they got any names? r they shy? did u get them eating? they usually don\'t eat for the first couple of weeks cz they are too shy and feel unsafe..

good luck with the little guys and welcome to the board again:)
feel free to ask and read the care sheets on this site,,u\'ll find them at the top of the page..keep us posted
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Well, nothing left to say except \"WELCOME\"

I never thought about buying a turtle at a market, petstore, or flea market as a rescue, but now that I think about it, if we didn\'t buy them they would probably have died, their owners more than likely don\'t know a thing about them other than they can get about 5 dollars or more for them, so I guess I too am a rescuer:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i feel bad for those babies..they are too tiny to handle tough life:(

btw i found my dream tank yesterday..it\'s a bit more than 300 gallons: the stand, a pyramid on the top, a small drawer,lights, filters, bubble makers, accessories,,,and all for $217..i think it\'s a good deal and for a 300 gallon tank i can get a couple more of babies:D
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

can wait to see ur new set-up!!!:D
Last edited by yaya on Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I wish I could get a round plexiglass lobster tank for my turtles, I saw one at walmart, not for sale ofcourse:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

thanx yaya,,nice to see u again btw:)
lol i don\'t think they ship cz it\'s one of those small unexperienced shops..and i think if i go to a factory or something i\'ll get a better deal and the way i want it..when it\'s time for real business i\'ll do some searching b4 getting that one:)
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

After looking around at turtles at pet store, all I have to say is everyone should quit buying turtles from them. Most of the places I\'ve seen have the turtles in horrible conditions. Maybe if people like us quit buying them, people will stop selling them. I have found plenty of turtle rescue places online. Maybe if we stop buying from stores, the stores will quit selling turtles, and turtles will not suffer in such horrible conditions.....just a thought!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i wish it were that way..
i don\'t know how it goes at the shops u have but for here they get the baby turtles from rivers and lakes and i think they will keep doing it and stacking all those babies in a small tank even if nobody bought from them cz there\'s only one shop that sells turtles in here
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I believe that as long as there are kids who nag their mothers for a pet and there is mothers and fathers who don\'t know what they are getting into the stores will always have these and other turtles in stock.

People need to realize that what you save on the 50 or more dollars on a dog or a cat at a pet store you will end up paying plus more for supplies and other necessities, also the fact that turtles will live longer than a cat or a dog will, people who don\'t know how long these turtles live eventually get frustrated and just throw the turtle back in the wild where it will eventually either die of starvation or get run over by a car.

Not buying turtles will really not stop the pet stores from stocking them, they will always have someone to buy them, unfortunately. It is very sad but it is a fact of life, if there is a buck to make someone will figure out how to make it.
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

Congrats on your New Babies... Your in for a BIG Commitment, are you ready? I\'d advise you to get atleast a 55 or 75gallon tank (Of course only it you have the funds to do so I dont want you to become bankurpt b/c of me). Dont worry about size now b/c they\'re small, they\'re great swimmers and LOVE the water, If you do get a big tank just make sure they can easily get out of the water when they want to dry off.
If you buy yourself a BIG Tank and a REALLY GOOD Filter things will be so much easier and youll get to enjoy them more.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

that\'s right stray..i also think cats and dogs are more fun for little kids..i mean they would prefer holding the pet always and play with it not just watch it swim around
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

dixieee wrote:
i feel bad for those babies..they are too tiny to handle tough life:(

btw i found my dream tank yesterday..it\'s a bit more than 300 gallons: the stand, a pyramid on the top, a small drawer,lights, filters, bubble makers, accessories,,,and all for $217..i think it\'s a good deal and for a 300 gallon tank i can get a couple more of babies:D
wow, that\'s definitely a GREAT deal.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

thanx rach..that\'s encouraging me more to get it..i will have to soon hopefully:) that\'s final i made up my mind and budget for it:D
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

excellent! good luck .. i hope it works out. i\'ll be jealous.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

:)

btw rach i love the patterns on ur new guy\'s shell..i just noticed them in the sig.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I wish mine would post for their picture like rachelmarie\'s turtles do, mine don\'t want me around them, oh well, I\'ll catch them asleep one day:D:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol her turtles are photogenique that\'s why:p
maybe ur not around a lot that\'s why..
  • Information