Still not eating...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Kristy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone!!! So I am all set up..water temp is at about 75 and basking area is about 85. He has at least 4 inches of water in the tank too. Today I walked by the tank and he was upside down floating. I freaked out!! When I flipped him over he was fine thank goodness!! He still won\'t eat!! I have had him since 2/2 and I have tried pellets, tuna, brine shrimp, cooked chicken, dried crickets, some other stinky turtle food, romaine lettuce...I don\'t know what else to do....I don\'t want the little not to make it. I would be devastated!! Any thoughts anyone???
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Four inches of water isn\'t much water, mine have 3/4 tank full, your turtle probably didn\'t have enough water to flip back over on his own, and also they need to be in the water to eat.

I think you should take him to the vet, if your turtle is small like mine, four inches should\'ve been enough to flip back over, he may have a respiratory infection. I hope he gets better soon, keep us posted.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i wouldn\'t think it is RI if he is still swimming normally..not eating is normal since he is still new..let him feel safe and the little guy will get used to u soon..it is difficult i know but the job getting mine to eat was easier cz i had couples and they feel better when someone is around especially that i have a brave girl

good luck and keep us posted,,just don\'t loose hope:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sorry Kristy, I reread you post and saw that you only had it since Feb. 02, the reason I mentioned RI is because you said he was floating upside down, which I mistook for listing, which is when they swim lobsided.

Just give him some time to adjust, hopefully he\'ll get used to you soon, and don\'t worry about him not eating, they can go quite a while without eating, sometimes months, maybe when you go to sleep leave him something to munch on, he may eat when no one is around.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

my little new guy is still not eating and i\'ve had him for a week tomorrow.

but, yesterday i put him in his feeding bowl while i took a shower and came back and he had taken two bites out of 2 different sticks.

try giving him some alone time with the food. i feel this is what is going to work with my guy.
pattilynn
Level 1
Level 1

Mine only eats when I am in bed and all the lights are off besides his tank. I have to watch from across the room. shy guy
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

they are shy but when they get used to u they become rude lol
  • Information