salmonella?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
furgie

My vet told me that RES can be very prone to salmonella and I need to be very careful to have everything sanitary around them. Have any of you ever had any problems with this? I just got my 3 babies at New Years, so I\'ve only had them 6 weeks. Now I\'m paranoid that they may not be safe to have. Any experiences? Thanks!
Kristy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!! Check out austinsturtlepage.com . They have a lot of great info!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Well, if you are not afraid of raw chicken, than there is no reason to be afraid of turtles, just no kissing:D:D
deesygirl

The easiest way to prevent salmonella infection is to wash and wash and wash. I do not recommend antibacterial soaps, just regular does the job. Wash for at least 3 full minutes. Make sure you remove your jewelery before handleing your turtles or working on their tanks. That way bacteria does noy hide in your rings. :) Use a good fingernail brush to clean under your finger nails. I do the same thing when I work with my chickens and turkeys and no one has ever been sick in our house. :)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ur lucky to have 3 babies..i always wanted 3 together:)

don\'t worry much about the salmonella..i don\'t find it that scary and it is not as long as u wash ur hands well after feeding, touching, handling, cleaning...etc ur turtles.

it is recommended that u wash ur hands well b4 getting in contact with ur babies cz u don\'t wanna transfer anything to them too
furgie

Thanks for the imput, everyone! I thought I\'d be ok at first, but then the vet kinda scared me. I do know to wash well and now I feel MUCH better! I\'m already attatched to these little guys and would hate to be afraid to handle them. Thanks!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

anytime:)
well u know vets and doctors in general..
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I\'m glad you\'re feeling better about your turtles:D, I think the vet was just trying to let you know about the possibility of salmonella, he just phrased it wrong:D
  • Information