eggs confused me...please advise

Here you can direct all your questions about turtle breeding and what to do about those eggs you found that your turtle laid.
Elean0r2

I have 2 RES, Killer who is 7-8\" (had for 4 years) and Shakira, 6\" (3 years). I \"thought\" they were both girls. Killer is usually very active in the morning, splashing and waking me up. So 2 weeks ago, she stopped splashing around, 1 week ago, stopped eating, then 5 days ago kept sleeping. I was ready to take her to the vet, but this morning I found 2 perfectly shaped white eggs. (She looks better this morning too) When I checked their tails months ago- both girls. What happened here? Please advise.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)

ok seems that shakira turned out to be a he (might be)..cz u mentioned that the eggs are perfect that means the probability of them being just goo is too low..
now what u have to do is take them out of water and dig them in moist soil..keep it moist until they hatch and NEVER FLIP THEM or the babies will die..
good luck with the new kids and keep us posted
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Congratulations:D, you\'re a mommie....again:D:D
Elean0r2

dixieee: Thanks for the advice. Have 2 more questions for you then. (never had babies, so need some guidance)
1. What kind of soil? Potting soil ok? Sand?
2. Where? In the tank under a light? Or outside in the sun? (so long as I keep it moist?)

I\'ll work on it tonight. (and NO turning/flipping of the eggs) Thanks for your help.

That Shakira...I\'m going to have to rename her if she ends up being a him!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

u are most welcome any time:)

well maybe Shakira has to be Sean Paul or something:p

\"Have a box with moistened Vermiculite (equal parts water and vermiculite; by weight). You can get Vermiculite from most garden centers. Make small impressions in the Vermiculite and gently position the egg in. You can separate stuck eggs by gently pulling them apart. If they won\'t come apart easily, leave them alone. Seal the container and make air holes. Inspect at least once a week, but not everyday. Keep the temperature around 82F degrees. It has been said that the temperature around 75F degrees yields mostly males and around 85F degrees mostly females. Do not keep them too warm as temperatures around 100F degrees will kill them. Keep the eggs moist by spraying them carefully. Depending on the temperature, hatchlings can take between 60 to 120 days to hatch. After hatching, keep the babies separate from the adults and in shallow water. Feed them at least once a day. The babies are mostly carnivorous, but offer the fruits and veggies too.\"

that\'s from this same site..

for ur questions:

1) answered above:)

2) if u live in a sunny area then go for it (but make sure nothing can harm the eggs)..if u live in a cold area especially it is winter now,,keep them indoors in a tank it\'s ok and the rest is answered above too

good luck and keep us posted:) i\'m excited for u :D
JennSig

I need help on this topic too. My female RES apparently just laid an egg in the water in her tank. It\'s oblong in shape and very pale yellow. She has been living ALONE in this tank for the 3 years that we\'ve had her and I don\'t know how many years before that (used to be a classroom pet). My daughter thinks it\'s a dud, since our turtle hasn\'t even laid eyes on another since we\'ve had her, and that we should throw it away. What should we do? I\'m relying on your expertise.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

could it be possible then ur female(i answer both) been just mature sexually and make eggs not fertile?!?(like no baby,just yolk?)and that ur shakira still a she after all?? i think i read something about female turtle laying eggs without having a male around...i try to find the link for that article...
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

they could do it..it happens!
to be on the safe side, take that egg out and treat it as if there is a baby inside..kepp it for a while and everything should become clear then
  • Information