Calcium for Turtles

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Tuesday
Level 1
Level 1

There is this Apple flavored mineral block (for birds) I read somewhere that it is good source of calcium for RESs and i was wondering if i could put it in the water, or if that was true. Please respond back thanks a bunch!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I did a search on apple flavored mineral block and found only horses, deer, elk, and parrots mentioned, I couldn\'t find anything about RES, so until someone else comes up with something else to add, I would hold off on the mineral block.:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yeah i heard about the bird calcium blocks but i didn\'t know they come in flavors..if it\'s the same one i know then it is ok (i don\'t know about the flavor though) but what i know is that u have to cut it into pieces b4 putting it in there..

i hope mariza answers cz i think she\'s the one who said something about that calcium once..
Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

I know the normal cuttlebone for birds can be used as calcium for turtles. I\'ve seen pineapple and orange flavored mineral blocks but I\'m not sure if they contain all the same stuff cuttlebone does. I\'ll check tomorrow.
Tuesday
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks everyone i really appreciate the help, i\'ll try and keep reading up on things too :)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

thanx Jericho199 that\'s what i meant:)

u are most welcome anytime Tuesday :)
Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

I picked up these today, gonna try them.

According to the back they all contain calcium, Vitamin A and Vitamin D3. All great for turtles. Plus they don\'t have that ***** backing on them :) They\'re a tiny bit softer too. a lil easier to break up into pieces.

Other ingrediants are Vitamin E, C and B12, Niacin, Riboflavin, Thiamin, Phosphorus, Pantothenic Acid and pyridoxine. Anyone know if any of these are not okay for turtles?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The list of nutrients sounds OK, but if you\'re feeding your turtle a pellet like Reptomin as part of his diet, he\'s already getting some of that (as would other foods in a varied diet). The blocks don\'t sound bad, but cuttlebone is cheaper and I suspect would have a higher calcium content. How much calcium is in the block? What form of calcium is it (carbonate, gluconate, citrate?)? Do the blocks float? Cuttlebone does, which is a reason why it\'s good for turtles. I really can\'t say anything about them, but I\'d rather buy cuttlebone and put my money toward other things.
  • Information