RES with RI

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
PuffyFish
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I need your expertise. I took my RES to the vet last week, he gave me liquid enrofloxacin drops to give to him. Very difficult needless to say. I\'ve been soaking his dried shrimp in it to give him, but he\'s grown very tired of that. His symptoms were gone for about 5 days and now they are back. Any suggestions? Also he has not basked for 2 days. Water temp is about 75. Thanks!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

good luck and keep us posted
Last edited by dixieee on Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PuffyFish
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your help! It makes me feel better to know that you have gone through this too and your turt is ok now. I will raise that water temp and keep you posted.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

u r most welcome..yeah i feel better that ur turtle will be ok hopefully:)

keep us posted
pattilynn
Level 1
Level 1

My turtle had the same thing and my vet gave me 3 sringes filled with antibiotics and steriods, which I injected into the webby part between shell and leg and turtle was immediately better within 24 hours. Ask your vet ....
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i think the injections are for the advanced cases only..those drops are for problems with air tubes or i don\'t know what they are called,,not the whole respiratory system..(ok i know i\'m too bad in biology i don\'t kow the exact terms)
PuffyFish
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dixieee, just wanted to let you know how \"Supey\" is doing. I raised the water temp to about 81-82, but ended up needing to take him to back to the vet. The best thing I ever did! He did have to take a series of shots, but he is doing great now. I have a question though, he hasn\'t been basking much at all, I think it may be because he is so comfortable in the warmer water. The basking area is about 90 deg. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks!!!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

glad he\'s getting better:)

staying is water is a good sign somehow cz sick turtles don\'t go in..but it still has to bask to avoid shell rot..maybe the basking area is too hot istead?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I don\'t think that there is a problem with your turtle spending alot of time in the water, the basking area temp. sounds about right, as long as he/she can get out to bask, it should be ok.:D
  • Information