Shell Problem Diagnosis

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
YellowBelli
Level 1
Level 1

Dixiee, I notice you have a YBS, mine is one too- but doesn\'t have anything like the beautiful shell yours has. Can some turtles just not have a nice patterned shell when they\'re born? I know it sounds like a dumb question- sorry...
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yep i have a baby YBS but i don\'t know maybe ur guy is a bit bigger that\'s why they have different shells..

i saw the pix but they are too small to tell,,even when i click on them they never load..seems a prob from my pc..

since ur turtle is acting normal then maybe it is just shedding scutes..yeah they might look bad sometimes but i don\'t know..yaya knows about shell rot,,i hope she\'ll be around and help although i hope it is just normal shedding

and yes that\'s the problem with the sites cz they show u the worst condition it could reach..it\'ll be late then for many cases

keep us posted about the little guy..hope he\'ll be fine
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

You may want to visit this next site, they have a few pictures of turtles with shell problems, they range from starting to full blown problems: http://www.gctts.org/WS/WS.php/Public/W ... atLookLike

I hope that helps you out:D
o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

hey looks like your turtle has pyramids in the second photo and you might want to take off the second link (a R rated photo or 2)
Last edited by o0hamburger0o on Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
YellowBelli
Level 1
Level 1

It\'s really starting to get odd now.

Some days I\'ll wake up of a morning and Ninja will have lots of white \'glistening\' patches around the outsides of his scutes. In the evenings, they\'ve calmed down again.

When he goes for a warm up under his basking lamp, his shell looks better- but in thr water, the funny shiny patches appear once more.

Oh and btw- about my pictures, I\'m sorry- ONCE THE PICTURES ARE LOADED- DO NOT CLICK THEM AGAIN OR THEY WILL RANDOMISE TO SOMEONE ELSE\'S PICTURES!!!

Geez, these free hosts...
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Those patches are morethanlikely air trapped under the scute, which is normal, sometimes they will look silver and sometime gold, just keep an eye on it incase it gets puss or something.:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yeah i remembered the golden spots too..if so then that\'s normal,,some unique way of shedding:)
  • Information