A little help plz:)

Discussions about turtles.
turtleman1

Can u use city water for ur turtle to live in I also need to know what kind of fish my RES can eat.
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

hmmmmmm....if city water means non filtered its ok filtered is ok too.....as for fish well..........ordinary small fishes will do but don`t u think that live food would stink up ur tank faster...that is if u got no water filter......if u don`t i strongly suggest pellets....its nutricious....lets see what our other family members have got to say
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

city water has nothing to do with being filtered or not.

yes, you can use city water. it is perfectly fine. i bought a water conditioner at walmart for 3 bucks and it helps with the chlorine.
SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

yar, tap water is fine, just cycle your tank so the bacteria can culture in the filter sponges. But yar, I don\'t suggest you change all your water at once... its only safe to change about 1/3 water at one time... unless u do buy neutralizers. Because turtles are not like fish and they do not breath oxygen from the water, it is fine to use \'city\' water. Again, just don\'t use all tap water unless you\'re using neutralizers to get rid of the chlorine.
YellowBelli
Level 1
Level 1

What harm does the chlorine do?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

It irritates their eyes for one, and I think it also messes with their sense of smell. Have you ever gone swimming in a pool and came out with red eyes, well, that is because of the chlorine, I know, I maintain a swimming pool at the hotel I work in, chlorine is used as a sanitizer to kill bacteria and other solids in the water, that is why they sell neutralizer.
YellowBelli
Level 1
Level 1

Nah- you\'re missing something, you come out from swimming and find you totally stink!

I use tap water in my tank because I can\'t afford a conditioner thingy or any special equipment. Ninja seems to be just fine with it. I know this is a dumb question, but how long will it take before my tank has good bacteria growing on the filter sponge? I just cleaned out my tank today, and poured boiling water over the sponge.

If you would have seen the state of the tank before, you\'ll realise why I had to \'neutralise\' my filter lol.
turtleman1

can u use stuff that is made for fish to get the chlorine out?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

yellowbelli wrote:
Nah- you\'re missing something, you come out from swimming and find you totally stink!

I use tap water in my tank because I can\'t afford a conditioner thingy or any special equipment. Ninja seems to be just fine with it. I know this is a dumb question, but how long will it take before my tank has good bacteria growing on the filter sponge? I just cleaned out my tank today, and poured boiling water over the sponge.

If you would have seen the state of the tank before, you\'ll realise why I had to \'neutralise\' my filter lol.
These are some of the prices for the chlorine eliminator
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

turtleman1 wrote:
can u use stuff that is made for fish to get the chlorine out?
yes.
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

I heard that if you put water with clorine out for 24 hours it will be gone?

Straykingfisher you are good at research :D
SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

SQUIRTLE wrote:
yellowbelli wrote:

Yar, you shouldn\'t use boiling water for your sponges. You also should not use tap water to wash your sponges either. The chlorine in the tap water kills the bacteria culture in your sponge. What most \'fish\' people do is put tank water in a bucket and squish all the fecies out of it....this will induce a cloud of gunk...but you should not use tap water for cleaing the sponge. This is for fish though.. turtles are not as sensitive, so it should be ok for turtles. Most pet stores tells you that it takes 39 days to culture bacteria from scratch. Whenever I build a new tank I usually use about 50% tank water and 50% tap water and leave the filter running for a few days. The books says 39 days... but for fish like feeders, its fine with only a few days. If you are starting with $$$$ stuff like Cichlids, then I recommend you run your tank longer. Again, I\'m more of a fish pro than turtle guy. I\'ve only been setting turtle tanks for a few years so these rules may not apply. =d
YellowBelli
Level 1
Level 1

Not all bacteria that grows on the sponge is good though. My filter had not been running for weeks (it had got clogged up with the skin my turtle was shedding *eugh*)

The water got stagnant, and because there was no fresh water running through the filter for a long length of time, I assumed the only best way was to start all over again.

I didn\'t want to put 50% of the used water back into the tank because that contained all the nasties, and boy- there must have been some amidst all the turtle fecies and skin. I was using rain water from the water butt we have outside.

Does anyone know what bacteria causes stagnant water to smell?
  • Information