turtles and dogs

Discussions about turtles.

if you have a dog and it plays with your turtle like playfuly snapping at it would the dog kill the turtle if it got out or would it just snap at it and could the piosing on the turtles shell kill the dog if it got the turtle?just wondering cause I have a dog and I want to get a turtle.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)
i don\'t really know cz i don\'t have any other pet besides turtles but i think it depends on whether ur dog is friendly or not..turtles are helpless and i can\'t imagine them harming dogs but u know that dogs can so it depends on ur dog\'s personality..
good luck and keep us posted on what u decide:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I wouldn\'t let the dog play with the turtle at all, he would more than likely take a bite out of your turtle, especially if it is a small turtle, your dog probably won\'t mean to hurt the turtle but alot of the times they will get a little too excited to realize what they are doing and hurt your turtle bad, dogs are very territorial and might see your new turtle as a threat(as funny as it might sound) and try to get rid of him/her.
I would be careful about your turtle being out of the tank unsupervised. I hope that helps a little:D
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

my boyfriend is a fireman and he went on a call where a dog actually attacked a 3 week old baby and killed it.

if a usually calm dog would go after a baby, i wouldn\'t let it play with a turtle.

just gotta put things into perspective.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ok then DON\'T..i changed my mind bcz of an incident that happened yesterday
hermyturtle
Level 1
Level 1

I\'m a new turtle owner too and we have a great dane, named Tucker and we introduced him to our new addition, Hermione, and gave them equal attention and they are fine together, however we don\'t leave them alone together. Tucker just wants to play with her, but of course he\'s too big.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

well yes dogs act cute sometimes..but it\'s good they are under guidance:)
  • Information