RES Turtle has pnemonia

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
pattilynn
Level 1
Level 1

so the foaming mouth was a respitory thing and now it is pnemonia. So i have to give injections of antibiotics every 3 days for 2 weeks and take him out of the water environment to a mostly dry environment with about 1 inch of water for feeding.

anyone have any suggestions on treats for my little sick guy? anyone have experience with turtle pnemonia?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Sorry to hear about your turtle with pneumonia, I haven\'t had any experience with that and I hope I never do, since your turtle probably can\'t smell too good because of the pneumonia you should probably feed him something stinky like tuna or sardines both in water not oil, shrimp is another stinky treat, other than that I\'m afraid I won\'t be much help.

Good luck with your turtle\'s health, keep us posted.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

sorry to hear that but glad he is under treatment..all what i can say is keep him dry in a warm place,,don\'t forget the heat and UV bulbs too..and soak him in water for like 30 min. twice a day so the little thing can drink and eat..the most important thing is try making him eat..u didn\'t mention if he is eating or not but as long as he does u\'ll be on the safer side..just take good care of him and keep us posted..
pattilynn
Level 1
Level 1

Things are going great. I just administered the last injection today. Ever since the first 1 - turtle has stopped foaming at the mouth and seems much happier. I drianed his tank for 5 days and left just about an inch of water for feeding. Now the tank is back to normal and little guy is eating at night like normal.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yay this is great:)
i\'m really glad the little guy is fine now:)
well done taking care of him
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Great news, I\'m glad he\'s better.:D
  • Information