shell

Discussions about turtles.
froggirl_2067

I just recently adopted 2 turtles from my room mate at college. 2 days ago one of them died. She did not take good care of them at all. She rarely fed them or gave them any water which is why i volunteered to take over. After the other died the other day...I noticed that the shell of the one that is left seems soft around the edges. I am concerned that something is wrong with it. I dont wnat to lose this one too. Also I have bought some reptile sticks to feed them. I\'ve had them since about Christmas or a little before. They have not eaten any. Is this because it is winter or something else? Someone please help!!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Try some cooked chicken, some tuna in water, sardines in water, and also make sure that you get some calcium supplements, the turtle\'s shell is probably soft from lack of calcium, along with that you need to get him/her a UV bulb so it can process vitamin D3.
I hope your turtle gets better, and welcome to the board:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board rescuer..

what is ur setup like? does it have a basking area and the needed bulbs (heating + UVA, UVB)? what are the temps in there? what is the size of the turtle?

ur turtle is probably getting a soft shell problem (i don\'t wanna call it a disease)..there are some calcium blocks as stray said which can be put into the water..vitamins are needed too that\'s why u have to have a UV bulb if they don\'t get direct sunlight at least 2 hours a day..

for not eating,,this is normal bcz it was abused and it is a new turtle so the little thing is probably shy and feels insecure..try handling it and playing with it cz it\'ll eat when it feels safe..again as stray said try some tuna it always gave the best results,,or anything smelly that\'ll grab its attention..

good luck and keep us posted about the little guy..we\'re ready anytime
  • Information