IM A NEWBIE, HELP!

Discussions about turtles.
badabing75
Level 1
Level 1

How deep should the water be if she is 4-5 inches? and should I make her a hiding spot or cave or something? Also, how should I go about making sure she has enough calcium? SHould i get one of those dissolving calcium tablets?
Last edited by badabing75 on Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)

ok seems ur doing fine with the little girl..4-5 inches needs to be filled at least to cover her shell so if she falls on her back she could flip again by herself without needing help from anyone..that\'s the min. level then u can inc. is as much as u like cz RES\'s are good swimmers and it\'ll be more fun for both of u (it is fun watching them swim)

i don\'t know about the tiny little grey dot..how is it like? how does it feel? for the pellets try mixing them with what she likes to eat cz shrimps and beef should be given occassionally only to avoid ur turtle getting overweight..if u wanna put some dicorations in the tank like the cave or anything then it\'s o kand turtles love them but make sure of 2 things first:
1- nothing in the cave can cause injury to her (scratches, wounds..)
2- she can get easily in and out so she doesn\'t get stuck in there and drown..

calcium blocks are fine too..enjoy ur turtle:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Welcome to the board, nothing further to add yet other than soaking the turtle pellets with water from either tuna or sardines before you feed them to your turtle, that is what I do with mine:D, just make sure it is water and not oil from the tuna or sardines.

It would help if you posted a picture of your turtle with that fuzzy dot showing, that way we might get a better idea of what you are talking about.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

btw is it ok to soak them often? like not only for treats?
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

for water level i\'d say to double her length turtle: 5inches Tank Water: 10inches. Just so they have room and if they fall back or anything like they had said they would be able to turn around.

Best bet make yourself an out of tank basking area and fill it to the top :)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Make sure you refrigerate after soaking them or you might get mold on them, happened to me with some mealworms I was going to feed my turtles, I went to feed them some a few days later and found the can full of fuzz:D:D, it\'s ok though, they didn\'t like them anyway:D:D:D
Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badabing75
Level 1
Level 1

i will post pictures as soon as I can regarding the fuzzy pacthes. I noticed that she also has these greyish pacthes on the bottom of one of her hands and one of her feet. could this be fungus?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yes stray i was referring to ur post..but i mean does it still get them overweight if i soaked them or is it ok?

badabing75 waiting for the pix..i don\'t think the patches ur talking about are fungus..probably it is a skin disease but still we can\'t tell that way..does it look like there is liquid inside? and a bit shiny? usually skin problems take a while to heal and get back to normal even if they don\'t exist anymore..anyways if ur turtle is eating and doing everything else normally then there\'s nothing much to worry about..waiting for the pix to know more..
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

You still have to watch how much you give them, but the pellets are the food that they should be getting, the juice is just an extra treat, it doesn\'t add fat to the pellet if that is what you are wondering,at least non that I know of, that is why I said to make sure it is tuna water and not tuna oil, besides, water will absorb better into the pellets than oil will:D, don\'t feed them too much though, because as you know, turtles will keep on begging for more:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

got it,,that\'s what i meant exactly..thanx stray:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

No problem:D:D
  • Information