not enuff calcium?

Discussions about turtles.
SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

ok guyz, this is the situation. 2 baby RES, Angel and Cliff Jumper. About 2 months ago Angel was larger than Cliff Jumper by a bit. Now, Cliff Jumper is larger than Angel by a bit! Angel is shedding so she is in a growth spurt, but her shell isn\'t growing at a similar rate AS cliff Jumper\'s. I\'m afraid that Angel is not getting enough Calcium because all she does all day is bask whereas Cliff Jumper swims all day. I\'m afraid that her body will outgrow her shell and therefore organs will be crushed inside. I\'m filling the water a bit more to cover more of the basking area. You guyz think I should be worried about Angel\'s shell growth?
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

My smaller turtle outgrew the bigger one at first. Then the other one outgrew him. If they are eating and don\'t seem sick, I wouldn\'t worry too much. As long as they are growing. I assume that animals are like people. They come in all shapes and sizes.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

no there\'s no specific rule for growth..it\'s somehow like us ppl,,sometimes somebody is the shortest between all his/her classmates then all of a sudden that person outgrows them..it\'s normal and for turtles it depends on the gender too..females grow faster..but for the basking thing,,is everything else normal? does she swim or never? is she eating well?
and no i don\'t suggest covering the basking area cz it should be completely dry to avoid shell rot
SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

well, Angel barely swims.. but i think she\'s just lazy. I\'m guess everything should be fine... its just that I found it a bit wierd that Angel\'s that one that\'s shedding while Cliff Jumper\'s shell is growing. Nothing else seems out of the ordinary, thanx for the reassurance guyz
  • Information