swollen brownish stain

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
isabelle

hi this is my first time here i looked around at the posts and did not find nothing that looks like my problem so here it goes, we recently bought a baby slider wich was healthy until recently this swollen brownish stain under its mouth on the side of the neck appeared.the turtle is very active very STRONG i might add!! but this stain bothers me if anyone thinks they know what im talking about i would appreciate some info thanks so much.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

It sounds like an ear abcess, you can go to this page to find out about it:
http://www.pogospals.com/pogospals/Ear_ ... tment.html

Be advised that those are pictures of an abcess treatment so there is some blood involved:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board

it\'ll be easier to tell if u can post pix but u can check this link maybe it will help http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medshell.htm
it includes different skin diseases..keep us posted and i hope the little guy will be ok
deesygirl

The swelling is what is puzzling me. A brownish stain could be a skin disease, and it would be in his best interest to get him in to a vet.

How long have you had your baby? What type of enclosure was he in? He may have caught an infection before you bought him. Try cleaning the area with a weak betadine solution and take a good close look. DOes he have any scratches that may have become infected? He also may have eaten some thing that stuck in his mouth. Turtles will try to eat most things. Some things can jab into the lining of the mouth and cause an absess trying to get out.
isabelle

thanks to all for the answers and the links especially the www.pogospals although the stain is not quite as round as the one shown here and as for the care i really believe i will follow your advice as to see a vet about that since the turtle is so small we had him or her since new year im quite sure it is not somethig caught in the lining of his mouth there is nothing in the tank that would bring that on, as for stress he was introduced to our first turtle wich is 3 times his size and that did not go very well buddy the oldest tried to go for one of minime\'s leg but no harm was done and that was a one time try now they have separate tanks. fortunately where i live we have an exotarium so i will try to bring minime there to see if the ownwer could give us a hand with the abces if it is the case and if not maybe he will know exactly what it is thanks again so much and long live allturtles and everyone involved. have a great day
  • Information