pregnant turtles?

Here you can direct all your questions about turtle breeding and what to do about those eggs you found that your turtle laid.
colchi4

hey all,
a few months ago i took in a male res as a rescue from a friend. he is probably close to 5 or 6 inches so of breeding age. I noticed him attempting to mate with one of my females. they are both 9 to 12 inches. the other female has been deseperately trying to escape from her tank and when she succeeds at getting out she hides in a dark corner or under my bed. i was just wondering if this was behavior of egg laying. i have already read what i need to do to allow her a spot to lay eggs. another question i had was if this was going to constantly go on if i keep the male in the tank with them. i love him dearly already, but i dont want my original two females to have to go through the stress of laying eggs all the time. any thoughts you have would be wonderful. thanks all. oh, fyi, i am new on here, but i do have the correct tank set up and supplies for my turtles.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Welcome to the board:D

Seems to me that the male, while trying his best, is being denied:D, poor guy, just be careful because the male might start to be aggressive when the female/s don\'t respond, so he might have to be separated from the females. From your female\'s reaction in trying to hide under your bed, I would say that the male did not succeed in mating.Whew:D, he might still try his luck with the other one though, good luck:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)

they seem to me happy turtles:) i don\'t know if there is a way to avoid it although i read everywhere that turtles breed when u drop the temps for them..but still i heard about many cases in which turtles laid eggs..anyways if it is pregnant then that\'s it provide the right environment for her and if u are sticking to ur choice of not making it happen again (which is considered among too many people as the very right choice) then u will have to seperate the male..
keep us posted
VersteckterGeist
Level 3
Level 3

wow.. that's pretty crazy.

why don't you put the male in another tank for the time being? this way he doesn't try and harrass the female.. or start with the other female.

i'm thinking i might have to seperate my hatchlings too.. for some reason the male keeps harrassing the female and doing the little hand thing (they wave their hands over their faces) constantly.. the poor female will come to the surface for air.. and once he sees her.. he zeros in for the kill.. :(

i'm about to put my male turtle in a time out.. i know it's spring time.. but jeeze.. :(
  • Information