Feeder Fish

Discussions about turtles.
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

1st: Just wanna say that this is the best turtle message board out there! Everyone is great!

2nd: Whats the deal with feeder guppies? I can never get the same answer about them twice. I give about a dozen to my 2 RES every two weeks. A little more if I\'m not as home as often as I should be. Do you RES\'s get feeder fish????? Fred and Bobette really like em, but some say they\'re not good! I dunno....
turtleman1

yes thay r good
SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

I haven\'t tried feeder guppies before cause I can\'t seem to feed my turtles something that pretty looking. I usually throw a couple of normal feeders for my big RES. But apparently you shouldn\'t feed them feeders too much because it is easy for them to carry diseases from the pet store due to mass breeding.
Last edited by SQUIRTLE on Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Yeah, feeder guppies are ok as treats, but your turtles will need nutrients that feeders do not provide, but they are good for making your turtles chase them, so they get some good exercise, my turtles chase my guppies around the tank until they get tired, it is very entertaining to watch them try to sneak up on the guppies:D.
I also want to get some trap door snails when spring comes around, no one seems to have them because of the cold weather, I have heard and read that they clean your tank of little bits of food that your turtles drop and also that your turtles like to eat them, I just hope the snails get to clean my tank before they get eaten:D:D:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board,,glad u liked it:)

i wonder who would consider guppies not good cz they are \"double\" good,,turtles use them for food and entertainment at the same time..what better exercise might they get other than chasing those guppies? just don\'t give them a lot cz they are used as treats and not the basic diet..pellets are the most recommended food for them
SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

hahah Stray, I Just got a big golden apple snail thats a lil bigger than a golf ball for my fish tank but then it started eating my really rare plants so I chucked him in my baby turtle tanks. They don\'t seem to want to eat somethign that big....
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

They are just checking him out, give it a couple of days, you\'ll probably notice an antenna (eye stalk) missing from the snail:D
  • Information