Swimming with turtles

Discussions about turtles.
sledwidow
Level 1
Level 1

Is it safe for my children to swim with the turtle? She is very friendly. But I worry about diseases for both of them. Any ideas?
l8or g8or

I\'m not real sure about this... I think I would call the vet and ask, I also think you can have your turtle tested to see if it carries Salmonella - if it doesn\'t, of course it would be safe. Let us know, I would be interested in knowing what you find out.
minimanY2Kev
Level 1
Level 1

I agree with l8or g8or but you should know that checking for Salmonella once, and the test results show that it is fine does not mean it cannot get Salmonella in the future.
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

Do not swim with the turtles ,it is not safe,turtles also carry tetnis and other perasites.
l8or g8or

Couldn\'t you take in consideration the size of the area you are swimming in? I would think a very large wading pool (of course you aren\'t going to put it in a large pool with chemicals in!!) but if the pool was large enough so the water concentration was big.... I personally would let my children if they were older - I wouldn\'t let them stick their head under to blow bubbles at their turtle!! But to just sit there and let the turtle swim around them. This is ONLY MY OPINION, you have to do what you feel is ok....
spraggsbraydon2
Level 3
Level 3

you could treat your turtle for the parasites and other diseases but it is a big bill,i tried that but then said see ya.
  • Information