Extreme Shell Rot

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Pat S.

A red ear slider i just adopted from an ignorant owner has a mjor case of shell rot. There is an area that i am really woried about it seems the shell is completly gone and there is this white soft layer under neath where there shell used to be. What is that? Can i and how do i treat it? Will the shell grow back or even start to heal? Any suggestions would be appricated.
LuciasAmen-ra
Level 3
Level 3

i never heard anything like that, i hope you can get to the vet and talk about it. I hope the last thing you have to do is youthinize it, but it seems like the ignorant owner should suffer with the turtle.
slmjTURTLES
Level 1
Level 1

Hi
It sounds that the turtle is in need of 2 different vitamens. It needs a vita light for Vitamen D, which comes naturally from the sun. Second it needs calcium, which you can get in a little container called reptomin. Reptomin also contains other vitamens but not D. Finally it also might ned reptoheal or vital shell. I am not sure which to get or if either will work, but somethingis needed to plug to hole. Please let me know how everything goes and what u did do!
Korni
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is old post, but I ma answering for others to read.

Shell Rot

It\'s usually of bacterial origin and has haunted keepers for years. It usually starts off by an injury, Bruised shell, burn or a crack in the shell surface. If your tank isn\'t clean and well maintained this disease will spread very rapidly. Clean water will also prevent this infection from happening.

Treatment

A complete sterilization of the aquarium and appropriate medication from your veterinarian is needed. This is one problem like I said that could spread very rapidly. Make sure to take the Slider to the vet. Also try a Betadine solution until the infection has healed.

http://pepito.conforums.com/ - my Turtle Forum
AllTurtles
Administrator
Administrator

Here is an in depth guide and overview about shell rot to help https://www.allturtles.com/shell-rot/
  • Information