Algea?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Christina Bettis
Level 1
Level 1

I thought my turlte might of had shell rot, but I took him out and dried him off. Then I took a soft toothbrush and warm, soapy water and brushed him off and peeled off the loose shell. Under the shell there was green stuff. What should I do? He has been sheeding since we got him over 2 months ago.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

First of all, don\'t use soap. If you gently wipe the green stuff with a moistened cloth, does it come off? If so, it most likely is algae. What the shell look like underneath? Do you have algae in the tank?

If there\'s any resistance when you try to take off a scute, it would be better to leave it alone until it comes off very easily or by itself. Does your turtle have a proper basking area so he can get out of the water completely and fully dry off? Does your turtle have correct lighting to bask under (both a UVB light and a heat/basking light (a regular incandescent lightbulb is fine for the heat, but he also needs a UVB light).

How big is your turtle? Has he grown a lot since you got him (growth will result in shedding)? If so, what are you feeding him--how much and how often?
  • Information