Aquiring a new Turtle

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
smokinall4s
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have 2 res, about 5yrs old, and I just recently found a pet shop that is selling Mississippi Map Turtles (babies 1-2 inches). What I was wondering is can the map turtle live in the same tank with my 2 res? If so I plan on dividing the tank that way the map turtle can grow until it is big enough to be with the other turtles. I have to divide the tank because I don\'t have enough room for another tank. My 2 res live in 35gl long tank right now.

Also, if the map turtle can live with the res turtles then what kind of care do they require? I haven\'t gotten the map turtle yet, waiting for some advice for you guys.

How often should turtle water be changed? My 35gl tank is half full of water with a Fuval 4plus submerse filter? Also, is this tank big enough for the 2 res? They are currently about 5-6 inches (shell length).

Thanks in advance for your help, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)
about the size of ur turtles they have to be in a bigger tank cz the rule says: 10 gallons/inch of shell length adding the totals,,which means each of ur turtles should have a 50-60 gallon tank and 100-120 gallons in total..i know this is too much but this is just the best condition for them..for the little guy ur planning to get,,map turtles get along well with sliders but the prob. is with the size..ur turtles are big for him and maybe they won\'t accept having a little guy in there..that\'s not a rule cz it depends on ur turtles\' personalities too..u can try introducing him greadually to the other ones and see how they interact..
u are most welcome anytime and tell us what happens:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Click on the following link for caresheet on Map turtles:
http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/graptemyscare.htm

Welcome to the board, I hope you like it here:D:D
  • Information