cleaning a turtles

Discussions about turtles.
machen423
Level 2
Level 2

i am cleaning out my turtle tank right now and i was just owndering if anyone has cleaned their turtle....i have them swimming around in fresh clean water right now and some stuff is comming off them.....nothing weird just like dirt or something anyway so can you clean your turtle?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

that stuff is probably only shedding skin which is a sign of growing..i do clean my turtles\' shells by a toothbrush..just reub it gently with warm water (not boiling)..they\'ll struggle a lot so don\'t worry:)
machen423
Level 2
Level 2

has anyone tried a sulfa bath or is that just for when they have bacterial infections?......yeah that sounds about right about the tuthbrush and they definetly are shedding their skin and scutes and getting bigger : )
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i don\'t know about the sulfa bath but the vet gave me a mixture to make for my turtles..it kills bacteria too
get a small cup of salt (size of turkish cofee mugs) and mix it with 1.5 Litres of water..soak the turtle in it for 2-3 minutes daily
stunt pogoer
Level 3
Level 3

ive tried a sulfa bath, didnt work at all
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

dixieee wrote:
that stuff is probably only shedding skin which is a sign of growing..i do clean my turtles\' shells by a toothbrush..just reub it gently with warm water (not boiling)..they\'ll struggle a lot so don\'t worry:)
NOOOO!!!!!! Not a toothbrush!!!!!! I did that and it got most of the things holding the scutes together btween them off so they started shedding like crazy, but then it stopped, I could tell it was in pain. Better use a sponge. That\'s final.
furgie

Actually they make a thing called a mushroom cleaner, it\'s a scrubby brush that\'s very very soft. That will help get into the nooks and crannies but still not be too rough. I bought one in the dollar store and it works great. Good luck!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

thanx for the tip furgie..
Captain_Turtle my turtles aren\'t shedding scutes they shed skin only and i only clean the shell not everything else..i rub it really gently and i have to clean them that way cz they get like a slimy substance on it if i don\'t
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

i do the toothbrush thing on my tooth and my turtles of course with 2 different toothbrushes....u can try soap or viniger while brushing them it helps
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yeah i use salt or vinegar sometimes..soap? hmm i personally don\'t prefer it
deesygirl

Usually I just rinse mine off under running water. I use tepid water so it does not burn them. I have one female that gets goopier than the rest, so her shell I gently brush with a soft bristle tooth brush. I let them dry completely then rub shell conditioning cream on them before putting them back in the tank.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

may i ask what is the name of the shell conditionning? And is it available in any pet store?? thank in advance:)
machen423
Level 2
Level 2

wow thanks for all the great responses i will try a couple of them and see what works best for my turts i really need to try at least one my boy turt Bud is shedding his skin like crazy and it looks gross
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

anytime:) big guy:)
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

yeah any time....just give us a feedback on which one is best ok
lulu
Level 1
Level 1

i use a children\'s toothbrush...they\'re softer than adult toothbrushes.
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

i use a childrens tooth brush too....
  • Information